Alex175

What's my best battery option?

Alex175

So it looks like my C-195 needs a new battery, it started with the occasional jump, or needing to be charged, and now I'm getting nothing, won't take a charge and won't start without a jump....so it's time.  The question is, what is the right battery for me?  With the bigger motor I typically go for the high end on the CCA, ~300+ but I am also looking at the fact that I have been setting this machine up to run special attachments, such as a winch, and possibly a small salt spreader for the winter.  Do they make a deep cycle small engine battery?  Should I go with an AGM over a traditional lead acid?  Is there a way to sneak something bigger in there? Are all of these thoughts a moot point because the recharge system on the tractor will not enough to offset the power usage?

Any ideas, or experience is greatly appreciated.

rmaynard

Sticking with my tradition of keeping things as close to original as possible, I'd put in a lead acid 340 CCA regular old battery.

• Like 5

rmaynard

However, if your current battery has the ability, remove the caps to check the water level. I'd do that first, then put a 10 to 15 amp charger on it for 24 hours. If it still doesn't hold a charge, replace it.

Edited by rmaynard
punctuation
  • Like 2

953 nut

I have found that a 200 CCA battery will give me a couple years of service and a 360 CCA battery will give me four or more years of service. For the most part they all come out of the same factory so I have no brand loyalty, just shop around for the best price.

The electrical loads like a winch will be powered by your charging system while the engine is running.

• Like 2

WHX??

I think I just have a 230 CCA I n my Super C and it does just fine. Strictly summer seasonal tho.

I'm like Richard and have no brand loyalty when it comes to 10 + tractors to keep batts in.

If yer gonna use it in the winter go with something the better side of 300 and keep it on a tender. I have good luck with my 520s doing this. 

Guessing engine charging circuits are OK?

• Like 1

Alex175

11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

For the most part they all come out of the same factory so I have no brand loyalty

Yeah from my knowledge of the battery industry I believe there are only 3 primary manufacturers in the US and that most of what we see out there are private labeled batteries from these same manufacturers

11 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Guessing engine charging circuits are OK?

I think they probably are, though I should check that with my load tester.  The battery that is in it is the same battery that it came with when it made its trek east to my stables in 2019 and I have only had minor issues with it until recently.

The other weird thing with this tractor specifically as opposed to all of my other ones is this is the only one that builds corrosion on the terminals, and even on the battery hold down bracket.  All my other WH have never had this issue, but this machine can build up a whole mass of battery corrosion crust pretty quick.  I always assumed it was because it is the style that you can open, where I normally have a sealed battery, so I assumed that it had to do with gasses escaping while in operation or charging.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Alex175 said:

I always assumed it was because it is the style that you can open, where I normally have a sealed battery, so I assumed that it had to do with gasses escaping while in operation or charging.

image.jpeg.a4b3cc909bb8362435ff31585797355f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

If you want a really good long lasting battery go big.  Older WHs had a larger battery tray that will accept a 22NF or GRP 52 battery.  The tractors came with automotive batteries, top terminal posts. They are a lot more money but I have had very good luck with the two I run with them....

IMG_0024.JPG

• Like 1

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Alex175 said:

Yeah from my knowledge of the battery industry I believe there are only 3 primary manufacturers in the US and that most of what we see out there are private labeled batteries from these same manufacturers

I think they probably are, though I should check that with my load tester.  The battery that is in it is the same battery that it came with when it made its trek east to my stables in 2019 and I have only had minor issues with it until recently.

The other weird thing with this tractor specifically as opposed to all of my other ones is this is the only one that builds corrosion on the terminals, and even on the battery hold down bracket.  All my other WH have never had this issue, but this machine can build up a whole mass of battery corrosion crust pretty quick.  I always assumed it was because it is the style that you can open, where I normally have a sealed battery, so I assumed that it had to do with gasses escaping while in operation or charging.

I would carefully check the voltage, out gassing is often caused by over charging.

• Like 1

peter lena

media_a1394360-9de7-406c-9b2e-1e94c1616b

• Thanks 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, Alex175 said:

I think they probably are, though I should check that with my load 

The other weird thing with this tractor specifically as opposed to all of my other ones is this is the only one that builds corrosion on the terminals

Funny you should mention that Alex. My 195 does the same thing with a sealed one and the only horse I have that does it. 

Yes older long frames like my 1067 & 1077 take the older round post batts like a Paul mentioned.

85 clam batteries but 10 years out of them. 

Unfortunately nowhere to shoehorn them in on shorts or a C. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

peter lena

media_a1394360-9de7-406c-9b2e-1e94c1616b

Edited by peter lena
duplication of reply

peter lena

@Alex175 

last  photo , showing battery tender plug in and additional ground cable to engine frame area , pto lever start washers , pete 

• Excellent 1