kthomas62

Stator Question

kthomas62

Good evening all,

I know there has been a lot of post on the charging systems on these tractors and I have done a lot of research but would like to ask a couple questions if I may.

In 2016, I bought a 1988 414-8 and since I have owned it, the volt meter has always stayed on the left side of center (around 12 volts). I usually keep a trickle charger on my batteries to make sure they keep a good charge but yesterday, I replaced the battery that I bought for it in 2017 and decided to do some trouble shooting on the charging system to see if I could figure out what was going on with it, so I got my multi meter out, pulled the plug off the voltage regulator to test the stator. I know it should put out between 30 and 50 volts AC (I assume),  but my meter showed all zero's. 

I then put the plug back on the regulator and tested the purple wire, which should be putting out around 14 to 15 volts DC but it showed 12.75 volts. It would seem that my stator is bad but would like to hear some feedback from those who have a lot more experience with the charging systems on these Wheel Horses than I do.

Thank you in advance!!

Kevin 

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by kthomas62

lynnmor

Sure sounds like a bad stator.  I don't know offhand what the ohms should be between the two wires from the stator, maybe you could find it in the service manual, but it should not be an open.

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Thompson1276

I had a problem like this before but I have all starter generator equipment all I run more simple , uselly when this happens I clean the end of the Voltage regulator and cable ends with battery terminal cleaner and I tear down the starter generator and leave it sit in Denatured Alcohol and let it naturally dry for the day uselly always cleans it , dosnt ruin it , then put it together when I swapped Delco remy starter generators from my horse to a old sears cause my horse one was broke I did this to bring it to life when I found it was bringing back 11-11.5 volts on the return now it brings 13-14 bolts back.

953 nut

The stator on your engine is basically a long continuous wire wound around a series of iron cores. You will need a good ohm meter to test the stator windings. The total resistance between your two AC leads should read 0.1 to 0.2 ohms for the long continuous wire. If there is no reading then one of the wires leading to the stator could be broken, don't buy a new stator yet. Now test the two wires from the stator to ground, there should be no continuity to ground on either one. If either (or both) wirers read continuity to ground then remove the flywheel shroud and inspect the two wires for abrasion or rodent damage. 

Hope this helps

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

oldlineman

:text-yeahthat:excellent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@kthomas62  might try this, last photo shows additional battery cable from battery ground cable bolt point . to engine corner frame to enhance engine grounding , now have this on my 3 horses , amperage gauge works like it should . get bare metal / dielectric grease bolt contact , first photo , washers added to start of the sloppy pto lever , smooth / solid , heim joint addition is easy , 3/8x 24 die nut. ues an alligator clip ground test wire , for solid grounding to electrical . NO NOT COUNT ON WHATS THERE . ENHANCE GROUNDING  . pete   

johnnymag3

Magnets...….check the MAGNETS...they are notorious for coming unglued, and you wont have any Voltage generated if they are all stuck together, or missing!

Without the North South North South being generated around the stator as the flywheel turns. if wont function !!!

Its an often overlooked easy fix.

Been there several times...……….

John

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

.check the MAGNETS

Only one I had that lost a magnet the flywheel licked up, couldn't turn the flywheel.

• Like 1

johnnymag3
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Only one I had that lost a magnet the flywheel licked up, couldn't turn the flywheel.

I have had 3 of them do this....they all stick together....engine ran perfect....

I had one also eat up 2 magnets with no damage to anything !!!   Crazy.

Edited by johnnymag3
  • Like 1

kthomas62

Thanks everyone, for all the replies. I will do some more checking as you all mentioned. I only checked AC and DC voltage and did not check Ohms. 

Much appreciated!!

Kevin