Jack11

Day 1, Hour 1 - New Owner to a Wheel Horse

roadapples

Probably 78 79

:WRS:

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 5

c-series don

It’s a 1978 or 79. They are some of my favorite year tractors. Very capable, basic tractor. Guys will be along with advice on bringing the paint back to life. Nice find! 

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Engine serial# is '78

Spec # is '79

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4

Jack11
18 minutes ago, c-series don said:

It’s a 1978 or 79. They are some of my favorite year tractors. Very capable, basic tractor. Guys will be along with advice on bringing the paint back to life. Nice find! 

Thanks for the quick response - they advertised it as a 1940 - I guess that was silly to think that was the right timeframe!

Curious - did you know the timeperiod based on serial # / model number etc?

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

Engine serial number and spec number.       There should be a tractor serial number below the dash plate.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

The tractor model number may be   91-14K801 or 2

• Like 2

D_Mac

Nice pick up. Does it run and drive? You might want to become a member. The people here are experts on these machines and can help you with any questions or problems you might have. Welcome to RedSquare

• Like 3

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the forum.  I've got an early 70's 14-8, which is very similar to yours.  It is a very capable machine.  You are going to like yours.

Somewhere in this forum is a list of items to check on a new to you tractor.  It was developed collectively by the forum members a while back.  Hopefully, somebody will be along who knows where to find the list.

• Like 3

Jack11
22 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Nice pick up. Does it run and drive? You might want to become a member. The people here are experts on these machines and can help you with any questions or problems you might have. Welcome to RedSquare

It was a “sight unseen” - I pick up on Sunday. It was through a reputable auction website that stated it runs and drives. The auction website isn’t one that allows for visits before bids so - we will see. I will keep the forum updated and will be more involved. Thanks! Excited to check it out! 

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Fitz: :WRS:   I would look in our manual section when you find the year. This site has just everything you need to know about this tractor from the front axle to the hitch pin. Good luck. Kepp us informed.

• Like 3

Achto

• Like 1

moe1965

Welcome  I agree. Become a member. I have had issues I couldn't figure out posted  a question and immediately receive feed back.  I read most of the new post every day and learn new stuff all the time.  

• Like 2

Blasterdad
9 hours ago, fitz said:

The C-141 was only made in "78 & '79, shaker plate & short block Kohler, changed to C-145 in 1980. Great tractor! :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, fitz said:

advertised it as a 1940

Not the first time and it won't be the last.     :angry-tappingfoot:      Seems some sellers don't bother to do their homework. Everybody knows that this is what a 1940 Wheel Horse looks like!           Men with a two-wheeled cart (stolkjaerre), Norway (Photos Prints,  Framed,...) #14397636            :ychain:

1979 was a transition year for the "C" series so I have attached both owner manuals.

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Lane Ranger

Do yourself a big favor and headache reducer by getting a C-141 manual on Red Square Wheel Horse Forum in the manuals  section for starts!   You can make a small donation to Red Square to keep this site going too!

The C-141. Even with the shaker motor frame plate is a very good tractor!   The 14 HP Kohler K motor is a great one!  

The 1970s A, B, C, D models were designed just before the Pond family sold Wheel Horse.  They were great but the B and C models were probably the best !

lots of them still around and lots of attachments, parts and know how about them from members of Red Square.

You bought a great garden tractor !

3D85E82C-7D73-4227-BFAA-061C54409C9C.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4

JCM

:text-welcomeconfetti:to  :rs:@fitz

• Excellent 1

roadapples
17 hours ago, fitz said:

Nope, just looks. On the older ones the hood stand was tilted forward, not straight up like this one....

Jack11

She is home - does not start so the "100% works" statement on the auction listing was not correct (SMH). Purchased for $29.66 so not super concerned.

I turn the key and abs. nothing (click or anything) so I think its the battery. I will hook it up to a tender/starter later.

1228854362_Image(4).jpeg.a2c162b6c70b7a4d6f2ace6db605240f.jpeg1830613197_Image(3).jpeg.5c14b058b424bc9f96089a19b96639ba.jpeg1510258937_Image(2).jpeg.ed99e79769bfdc5d3a3e560e531edc2c.jpeg1519037506_Image(1).jpeg.350adfbd8691bcfbb92884ce9a1b2661.jpegImage.jpeg.657d282d0786d993319f0e357522a418.jpeg

• Like 5

stegs

i have that same model, and you will love it

It is pretty much bullet proof.  Ive done things with mine, that probably shouldnt be done with a "garden tractor"

The engine is extremely reliable, and the 8 speed trans is nearly indestructible 

Things to do right away

1. change engine oil with some 30w , and continue to change it every 15-20 hours of use

2. drain the gear oil out and replace with fresh. I myself used valvoline 75w90 and it works great. Id even drain, and ad some diesel fluid, run it around for a while, and then drain that out and fill with new oil

3. Check the belt, replace if needed. I thought my belt was ok, but then i replaced it with a new one and WOW!, My old one must have stretched out alot, because the new belt made a huge difference

4. Grease!! Grease fittings for the wheelhubs, steering hubs, one in the center of the front axle *(under the motor), steering shaft too

basically, long story short, if you take care of that tractor, stay up on the basic maintenance , that tractor will provide you years of use.

Now, go find yourself some attachments (and another wheel horse, because you got the bug now)

• Like 1

Jack11
12 minutes ago, stegs said:

i have that same model, and you will love it

It is pretty much bullet proof.  Ive done things with mine, that probably shouldnt be done with a "garden tractor"

The engine is extremely reliable, and the 8 speed trans is nearly indestructible 

Things to do right away

1. change engine oil with some 30w , and continue to change it every 15-20 hours of use

2. drain the gear oil out and replace with fresh. I myself used valvoline 75w90 and it works great. Id even drain, and ad some diesel fluid, run it around for a while, and then drain that out and fill with new oil

3. Check the belt, replace if needed. I thought my belt was ok, but then i replaced it with a new one and WOW!, My old one must have stretched out alot, because the new belt made a huge difference

4. Grease!! Grease fittings for the wheelhubs, steering hubs, one in the center of the front axle *(under the motor), steering shaft too

basically, long story short, if you take care of that tractor, stay up on the basic maintenance , that tractor will provide you years of use.

Now, go find yourself some attachments (and another wheel horse, because you got the bug now)

Thanks for the info - will update in the post.

I def have the bug! I am looking at a B80 with a mowing deck and plow and a GT1600 with plow to work on! prob getting way over my head

• Excellent 1

Moparfanforever

If the battery is good, you should check the safety switches. Clutch, seat,pto should have switches if they are still intact. 

That may be the reason you get nothing when you try to start it and the battery is good. 

• Like 2

peter lena

@fitz  agree with others , very solid piece , take advantage of what works , and enhance it , lots of lubrication opportunities , speaking of lubrication , do you have a favorite?  this is easy , aerosol spray down every painted surface , so its wet , let it sit a day in the sun , to heat up and suck in the lubricant to paint . next day wipe it down till dry with a clean cloth , I  would do it again , that paint will be patina saved , and have a nice oil slick finish , done that for years . the neglected look will go away , it will look just right , for your thorough baseline service , @stegs was spot on with service ideas , look over everything , make the rust run out !  like rotella #30, for oil , lucas  red  or green grease , for stay with it  lubrication , walmart  has tubes .  would love to bring that back myself !  glad to have you on board , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Bill D
2 hours ago, fitz said:

She is home - does not start so the "100% works" statement on the auction listing was not correct (SMH). Purchased for $29.66 so not super concerned.

I turn the key and abs. nothing (click or anything) so I think its the battery. I will hook it up to a tender/starter later.

1228854362_Image(4).jpeg.a2c162b6c70b7a4d6f2ace6db605240f.jpeg1830613197_Image(3).jpeg.5c14b058b424bc9f96089a19b96639ba.jpeg1510258937_Image(2).jpeg.ed99e79769bfdc5d3a3e560e531edc2c.jpeg1519037506_Image(1).jpeg.350adfbd8691bcfbb92884ce9a1b2661.jpegImage.jpeg.657d282d0786d993319f0e357522a418.jpeg

Other than free,. $29.66 is a tough number to beat.  Nice score.