Snoopy11

Charging system diode direction

Snoopy11

Oh boy...

Here we go again... the anthropomorphic beagle working on electrical. Bear with me people...

So... I was having a charging system problem on the 416-8... which has the 3 amp charging coil on the K341.

I checked all wiring... and the diode's crimp connections had come loose from the wires... so I plan to solder the connections back on...

That is... IF... I can figure out how the diode goes back in.

I figured I would post this on the forum, hopefully someone can help, and maybe someone will be helped with this in the future... 'cause the beagle is lost...

Don

P.S. here's some pics...

100_1961.JPG.ff18ae977e7b98f0ed74d3975cea5045.JPG

100_1962.JPG.c37740b77e076638395a1f2e68cea642.JPG

Snoopy11

Basically, what is confusing me... is what direction the diode should go back in...

Should the WHITE portion of the diode go towards the stator... or should the black side of the diode go towards the stator.

LIMITED electrical knowledge here, 'da beagle does better with mechanical stuff... :mellow:

Don

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
18 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

what direction the diode should go back in...

I would test that diode first.

Use this position on your meter:

image.png.52f4116fb0522e14f01e8cb26291c423.png

And a 'by the way':  That symbol for the diode on the meter... the straight line part is the CATHODE, the other end is the ANODE.  The arrow is pointing toward the CATHODE.  

In one direction it should read OPEN, maybe OL, or whatever your meter indicates an open circuit.

Reverse the leads, and it should measure around 0.6 or 0.7 or there about.

The CATHODE is the end with the black stripe on it and that should be the end that you had the BLACK lead when you had the 0.6 to 0.7 reading.

That end goes AWAY from the stator.

So to recap, first verify that the diode is good, then install with the CATHODE AWAY from the stator.  (The ANODE is what the other end is called, and that goes TOWARD the stator)

Let me know if you need a diode.  I probably have a suitable replacement.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11

CATHODE is the end with the black stripe... Anode is the end with the white stripe.

Got it.

Anode goes towards the stator... cathode goes away from the stator.

After putting it in like you told me... the charging system is back working. :banana-dance:

@Jeff-C175... thank-you thank-you than-you... :bow-yellow:

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

Think of a diode as being a check valve for electricity. In one direction it will pass "+" voltage (electrical current) from a battery and illuminate a test light connected to the negative post of the battery, This is the direction you want to use. Reverse the connection and it will not pass any current and the light will not glow. No fancy test equipment needed.

• Like 3