peter lena

slide hammer

peter lena

https://www.amazon.com/WIN-MAX-Comprehensive-Puller-Hammer-Repair/dp/B0788NL12Z/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B0788NL12Z&psc=1  used this type and much heavier , hammers at work , information above is only a reference to this type of puller , but in a tough spot , it was often enough , with , penetrating lubricant to get things moving . just thinking about axel pulls , pete

• Like 2

ri702bill

Pete - over the years I have acquired three - the frrst was a 2 pound "Dent Puller" with a 1/2-20 thread. This is the one I made a set of hex adapters with different sized threaded holes for removing straight or tapered pull dowels. The 5/16-18 is also used with a short piece of threaded rod. Remove the adjusting screw at the end of a pair of locking pliers (aka Vise Grips) thread that in and into the puller - great for removing axle woodruff keys, straight machine keys and even nails and staples in a tight spot.

The second on was from my Father-in-laws repair garage - a 10 pound axle puller - the slide looks like a butternut squash.

The third was part of a broken set of 2 jaw, 3 jaw pullers and the slide hammer - 15 bucks at a yard sale.

Bill

• Like 1

ri702bill

Funny store about the axle puller slide hammer. Had a few Saturn SL1 and SL2 sedans over the years - straight forward and relatively easy to work on.

My 2001 had a bad rear ABS sensor when I got it. The sensor unfortunatly is part of the rear wheel bearing assembly. One Sunday I am working to remove the bearing with the puller, but it was rusted in place - it pilots into a thru bore in the knuckle. I gave it a good spraydown with penetrating oil, but it was still stuck after a few blows with the slide hammer.. My son sees me having a hard time and says "Step aside, Old Man, let me show you how it's done". I told him to watch out and not get your other hand caught behind the slide - Too Late!! - pinch point - he gave it a good wallop and got the skin between the thumb and index finger really good. He gets up and is dancing around in pain. I said "Step aside, Sonny, I'll finish up here now that you knocked it loose!!!"....Kids!!!...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

peter lena

@ri702bill  been there ! that skin pinch is like getting skinned  ! forgot to mention wear gloves , glad it worked out for the both of you , pete

• Like 1