CountryRock

1995 416H fuse issue

CountryRock

Today I was checking out the taillights on the 416H, I had the ignition switch in the on position so I could verify power to the lights.  The left taillight would not light up so I began looking at the wires under the seat pan.  About 5-10 minutes had passed and as I was moving the wires around I heard a pop.  I had thought maybe the 15 amp fuse had blown due to a taillight wire touching something, but that was not the case.  The 25 amp fuse had blown for some reason.  I realized the pto lever had been left engaged from earlier when I was making an adjustment on it, but I don't think that would have caused the issue.  This tractor has had issues with the 25 amp fuse blowing in the past and I thought I had remedied it, but apparently not.  What might ve caused it to blow?  I have suspected the fuse block before but haven't been positive about it.  Maybe that is the problem after all.  Thanks for all input.

EDIT 8/2 520PM:  I think I found the issue.  A steel wire or nail, bent into a U that was put in as a jumper on the connector coming from the seat switch.  It had looked like a wire with black insulation at first, which it why I never noticed it before.  Imagine my surprise when it stuck to a magnet, lol.  Someone in the previous ownership thought they were smart by trying to jump the switch out that way.

Edited by CountryRock
Found issue.
  • Like 1

peter lena

@CountryRock  often say the time to check your tractor functions , electrical , mechanical , linkage etc , is when its good , that way you can enhance and insure those functions , like a chafing wire start , dry mechanical  function . poor grounding , etc. electrical issues were my , major issue , basically redo , all of it , changed wire routing , cable/ wire wrap , only a suggestion , pete