Jstrand

550 Suburban Wiring - Pictures needed

Jstrand

Hello all, I was hoping to find someone with a suburban 550 that could provide me with pictures of the wiring if possible. Not quite sure about where some of these wires go.

Thanks,

5E652281-0E3A-4296-BB3F-AC05088EBC28.jpeg

C029611F-18BE-4B7A-8A95-F2C106CF844A.jpeg

2215E8D9-2568-4718-95BF-FE9CCB79AD52.jpeg

Edited by Jstrand
Added photos

wallfish

I'm not sure what all those wires going to that solenoid are for?

It's definitely been modified from original

You are missing the diodes for the charging system which is that panel on the engine.

Edited by wallfish
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:

There are way to many wires going who knows where and what looks like a condenser with its wire going to ground. :scared-eek:  The wiring for the 550 is very simple and shouldn't look like what you have. Best bet is to pull that mess out and start over using the wiring diagram John @wallfish provided in the manual.

The 3656 ignition switch called for in the manual has been superseded by a 101 482 which is available on line and is compatible with today's solenoids.

• Excellent 1

wallfish

I also see 2 white wires coming from the engine which are probably the charging system and that engine may have been changed at some point. Look at the shaft side where the drive pulley is. Is there an indentation about 2" x 2" into the block under the shaft? It might be under the belt guard. Or is that whole side around the shaft flat? It could be a H60 engine. I don't remember if those type of starters fit on an H55 or not. I'm guessing it's a H60 with the H55 tins on it and that charging system board. It might need a rectifier/ regulator connected to those 2 white wires.

If you connect a battery to the big cables under the seat, does it turn over with the key switch? If so we might be able to get you going with what's there. Once it gets going you can rewire it. Not sure what that red wire is coming out from under the flywheel either. Might be a good idea to remove the flywheel and post a pic of what's going on under there. The points probably need to cleaned anyway.

The condenser should be mounted under the flywheel but it looks like the previous owner just used what he had as that one is definitely too big to fit under the flywheel. So maybe it just got mounted there. Where it's connected could work as that connection should have a black wire from the coil which is also under the flywheel. That screw is isolated by the plastic board and is not direct to ground. The kill wire would also connect there to shut down the ignition.

• Thanks 2

Jstrand
4 hours ago, wallfish said:

I also see 2 white wires coming from the engine which are probably the charging system and that engine may have been changed at some point. Look at the shaft side where the drive pulley is. Is there an indentation about 2" x 2" into the block under the shaft? It might be under the belt guard. Or is that whole side around the shaft flat? It could be a H60 engine. I don't remember if those type of starters fit on an H55 or not. I'm guessing it's a H60 with the H55 tins on it and that charging system board. It might need a rectifier/ regulator connected to those 2 white wires.

If you connect a battery to the big cables under the seat, does it turn over with the key switch? If so we might be able to get you going with what's there. Once it gets going you can rewire it. Not sure what that red wire is coming out from under the flywheel either. Might be a good idea to remove the flywheel and post a pic of what's going on under there. The points probably need to cleaned anyway.

The condenser should be mounted under the flywheel but it looks like the previous owner just used what he had as that one is definitely too big to fit under the flywheel. So maybe it just got mounted there. Where it's connected could work as that connection should have a black wire from the coil which is also under the flywheel. That screw is isolated by the plastic board and is not direct to ground. The kill wire would also connect there to shut down the ignition.

So I cleaned the carb but it keeps flooding it looks like fuel out the air intake, does that mean the float isn’t working correctly? No filter on it yet. I have a battery but I think I need to charge it. I will bring it to work tomorrow and charge it there. 

wallfish

Yes. Flooding is typically a float or that valve or both the float and the float valve.

Remove the float and shake it. If it has fuel inside of it there's a hole in it.

• Like 1