Bill Claffey

314-8 NO SPARK WILL NOT CRANK

Bill Claffey

HELP I HAVE A 314-8 THAT WILL NOT CRANK , PLUS NO SPARK ANY SUGGESTIONS?

• Sad 1

Sparky

Assuming that your battery is good…it’s gotta be a safety switch.

If it doesn’t crank how do you know if it has spark or not? 
  There’s a safety switch on the clutch pedal and one for the PTO. 

• Like 2

gwest_ca

A model and serial number would help us help you.

Bill Claffey
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

A model and serial number would help us help you.

MODEL NO 73448 SERIAL 8901615.

953 nut

:WRS:

Being a 1998 model your wiring is a bit more complex than the older models but the basics still apply.

Check all of your fuses to see if any are blown.

Is this a new problem that just cropped up or has it been coming on slowly?

Is your engine oil up to the full mark? The oil sentry switch on the engine won't let you start it with low oil level.

Have your battery load checked at an auto parts store to be sure it is up to the task

Clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. One loose or corroded connection anywhere can ruin your day.

Here is the owner manual with an electrical diagram, look it over and read the starting procedure.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Gcw804

I have a 314-8 and hit a small stump in my driveway. The tractor cut right off. I disengaged the PTO and it started back up for like 2 seconds.

Now it won't do anything. No lights, no crank. It's like a kill switch somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gary Williams

gwest_ca

Post a model number or year so we can look at the proper wiring diagram.

• Like 1

moe1965

Possibly sheared a keyway on the engine.   

• Confused 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, moe1965 said:

Possibly sheared a keyway on the engine.   

He has an electrical problem that is preventing all functions as listed in his thread, there could be a shredded key too but that won't be knowen until the engine can be cranked over.

3 hours ago, Gcw804 said:

it started back up for like 2 seconds.

Now it won't do anything. No lights, no crank. It's like a kill switch somewhere.

:WRS:

Looks like the same procedures that were recommended for @Bill Claffey would apply to your situation too. As Garry requested the model number will be of great value to us to be sure we are giving you the proper information

Check all of your fuses to see if any are blown.

Is your engine oil up to the full mark? The oil sentry switch on the engine won't let you start it with low oil level.

Have your battery load checked at an auto parts store to be sure it is up to the task

Clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. One loose or corroded connection anywhere can ruin your day.

Please let us know what you find.

953 nut
On 7/21/2022 at 2:59 PM, Bill Claffey said:

HELP I HAVE A 314-8 THAT WILL NOT CRANK , PLUS NO SPARK ANY SUGGESTIONS?

:angry-tappingfoot:              We provided some information to help you, did it work?          :text-feedback:

Gcw804

Hi,

It's a 1998 Model 73448 Serial # 8900149.

It's strange because there are no lights, nothing. It's like there isn't even a battery in it.

Thanks

Gary

Bill Claffey
21 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:angry-tappingfoot:              We provided some information to help you, did it work?          :text-feedback:

BROKEN TERMINAL ON STARTING SOLENOID RELAY CAUSE OF THAT PROBLEM, THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.

• Thanks 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, Bill Claffey said:

HANKS FOR THE INFORMATION

You are very welcome. any time you want to come on the site and join in on a post please do.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

953 nut
18 hours ago, Gcw804 said:

It's strange because there are no lights, nothing. It's like there isn't even a battery in it.

On 9/7/2022 at 4:18 PM, Gcw804 said:

I have a 314-8 and hit a small stump in my driveway. The tractor cut right off. I disengaged the PTO and it started back up for like 2 seconds.

Any suggestions?

A sudden hit like that could have dislodged a wire or caused a wire to short out blowing a fuse or damaged the battery. First step would be to take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested. 

Clean ALL electrical connections including grounds and check the fuses and fuse holders. All electrical functions on your tractor go through the 30 amp fuse so be sure it and the holder are in good condition. The fuse holders are near your battery, use a test light on each end of the fuse holder with the fuse in place to check them. If the 30 amp fuse is blown then examine the wiring from that fuse to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch before installing a new fuse.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1