Lee1977

wood tool box

8ntruck

Wow.  That is a true treasure box.

• Like 1

formariz

Nice box . Looks to be Rift sawn white oak. What are its dimensions?
I see a couple of draw knives in there. Could I see a better photo of them. 
 That is also a unique great looking tote .

There seem to be some tools in there probably unique to the function they were intended for. Particularly the ones with the dark handles and brass ferrules. Can you lay them all out and take a photo?

Lee1977

The box is 32 3/4" long by 18 1/4" wide by 12" high not counting the center raised top.

The brass an leather handle tools some were made in the shop one screw driver was fixed after the original handle broke or came off is my guess.

Dad bought the box from a loom fixer that retired some time in the 60's , Dad retired in 1966. I worked in that same Weave Room in 1962 and 1963.

SAM-1550.jpg

Two of the socket tools were probley made for the Loom Co., all the others tools look to be made in the mill shop. One of the hammers is in my sons tool box.

SAM-1549.jpg

SAM-1552.jpg

• Like 2

formariz

Not knowing a lot about that industry or their tools or machinery forgive my questions. I assume that there were wooden looms which would necessitate repair by the presence of the brace and draw knife?

squonk

My Grandfather had a similar tote. It was full of screwdrivers, nail sets, rulers ect. don't know what ever happened to it.

I have his mason tool box with tools in it. For all I know he may have even built it. It's kind of falling apart. Maybe this fall I'll see if I can rehab it and shoot some pictures

formariz
1 hour ago, squonk said:

My Grandfather had a similar tote. It was full of screwdrivers, nail sets, rulers ect. don't know what ever happened to it.

I have his mason tool box with tools in it. For all I know he may have even built it. It's kind of falling apart. Maybe this fall I'll see if I can rehab it and shoot some pictures

Before pictures are also important. Glad to see revived interest in these forgotten old things.

Lee1977
5 hours ago, formariz said:

Not knowing a lot about that industry or their tools or machinery forgive my questions. I assume that there were wooden looms which would necessitate repair by the presence of the brace and draw knife?

The looms were cast iron frames with steel shafts they had wood frames that lifted the warp to weave the towels this I think also lifted the nap on the towels. there was also wood on the shuttle beam, also some wood on the shuttle box

The shuttle drivers were also wood. There is a hold lot I don't know about them. I was there just out of High School.

You can't imaginal the noise with 1000 shuttles going back and forth every second. You could shout into some ones face and they couldn't hear a word you said.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
32 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

You can't imaginal the noise with 1000 shuttles going back and forth every second. You could shout into some ones face and they couldn't hear a word you said.

I worked 11 years in a high speed stamping press room that contained 66 punch presses running from 350 to 3600 strokes per minute, think machine guns.  Huh? What? Speak up!  When I left, my outgoing physical showed an OSHA record-able hearing loss, but since they had records from when I started that I hunted and that must have been the reason for the hearing issue.  They weren't gonna pay for no stinking hearing aids, that is on me.

• Sad 1

pfrederi

My father was a loom fixer for Huyck Felt.  Never saw a tool box.  He was injured when a shuttle flew out and hit him...  Wooden things with steel points on the ends... nasty

Company shifted operations to Aliceville GA (to get away from the unions)  Was interesting to see a few years ago the people in Aliceville complaining that production was being shifted overseas...

Huyck Mills were manufacturers of paper maker’s felts, wool jackets, and bed blankets. Originally based in Rensselaerville, New York, the firm relocated to the city of Rensselaer in 1894 after a fire destroyed their mill in Rensselaer. The business was sold and subsequently closed in the early 1980s.

• Like 1