23 Reo

Onan Won't Spin

23 Reo

Recently picked up a 1994 416 with an Onan P216. The starter was working fine, now it won't spin. I am getting 12.3 volts at the starter from the power cable. The small light blue wire at the starter is dead when I turn the key to start.

How should I proceed ? 

953 nut
7 minutes ago, 23 Reo said:

I am getting 12.3 volts at the starter from the power cable.

:confusion-confused:     Are you telling us that you have voltage to the starter mounted solenoid input but it is not closing when you turn the key? Be sure the PTO is off and you are holding the clutch down. You probably ought to check out your fuses and the red power wire from the battery to the ignition switch. Any connection that isn't tight or is corroded could be the culprit too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 Reo

Yes, the PTO is off and the clutch is completely down. I put new in fuses in but nothing. Everything at the ignition looks good. I slid the ignition wire plug in and out a few times, it is clean.

I will clean more connections.

Edited by 23 Reo
  • Like 1

WHX??

Gotta be an electrical gremlin. Check the ignition switch to see if ther is power on the start terminal. If not bad ignition switch. If ther is bad wiring somewhere in between. The solenoid and switch.  Bad safety switch or something. Don't forget to check grounds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Idiot lights not indicating a fault? 

Download this file. The start circuit has it's own diagram.

Look for discoloration in the 9-pin connector between the engine and tractor harness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
8 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Idiot lights not indicating a fault? 

Download this file. The start circuit has it's own diagram.

Look for discoloration in the 9-pin connector between the engine and tractor harness. 

By discoloration, he means that the plastic got hot causing it to turn brown.  That 9 pin connector can also have a bad connection at several of the pins where the current load isn't enough to cause a lot of heat.

• Thanks 1

23 Reo

Where are the starting relay, the neutral safety switch and the PTO safety switch? What do they look like and how do you test? I do not have much experience with electrics but I can do the testing and repair if shown .

Thank you,

Dave