grinchsr

Electric PTO Cooked

grinchsr

After cutting for about 45 minutes I look down at the deck and notice black soot every where.  Mule pulleys and deck spindles are free and belts look normal.  Can these clutches be rebuilt?  New ones are crazy money.  Has anyone converted to manual PTO I probably have all the parts to do it.  I clutch plate does make contact when switched on.     Model is 73401   Serial 240000697    2004 315-8 with the Command motor.   Clutch part # 5219-9

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

Edited by grinchsr
  • Sad 3

kpinnc

Looks like it was slipping for a while. That's basically brake dust from what I can see. 

If the clutch still engages (audible click when powered on), it may have enough adjustment to get you through the mowing season. Most electric clutches can be tightened or loosened as needed. Just remember that a tiny adjustment goes a long way.

Check your manual and see if it has a procedure. Otherwise you may have to dig around online to find a procedure. Most clutches have 3 adjustment bolts on the outside of the bell. I don't see that on yours, so I'm not sure how to adjust that type.

One thing to keep in mind- those Command engines can't take the axial load of a manual PTO, which is why they used electric clutches. You have to add a bearing and plate to them to use a manual clutch.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

johnnymag3

Ray...just put a Magnum in that baby and switch to Manual PTO   :teasing-poke:

john :) 

grinchsr

Thanks for getting back to me.  Can it take any side load?  I am thinking about relieving it from grass duty and just letting it run a single stage blower which is light duty here in south CT

grinchsr

Funny you said that John I just happen to have a M14 on the shelf.  Tempting but I want to save the clutch if I can

• Like 1

Bill D

Does that engine have the one inch crank?  If so, locate a complete PTO assembly with drive pulley from a GT1100/1142.  The bearing for it should be a 5008-2RS if I remember correctly.  Make a plate to mount to the engine out of 1/8" steel and setup the pulley as instructed in the manual. I did this on a GT1142 I picked up that had a Kohler Command in it and it worked great.  I also have an electric clutch that I removed from a Husqvarna tractor recently.  It looks about the same and may fit.  Let me know if you are interested.  Bill

Edited by Bill D

grinchsr

Thanks Bill   Got a part number for the clutch?  Is it a Wagner?

Bill D

I think so.  I'll check and send you a picture 

gwest_ca

lynnmor

It looks like you have a clutch that was installed to replace the original.  It may not have the ability to handle the torque loads required, in order to make something other than the original work, you will need to do the homework to find a compatible model. Here is what you have now.

First thing, be sure that you have good wiring and voltage so that there is maximum grip.

Edited by lynnmor

grinchsr

How do you know that it’s not original?

grinchsr

I just checked the date code on the clutch.  It reads April 2004   The 315 is a 2004

lynnmor
3 hours ago, grinchsr said:

How do you know that it’s not original?

It is just a guess on my part, I have no tractor like that to compare to.  It does have a different appearance than older models.

grinchsr

I understand no worries.  I contacted Warner Electric today to see if it is rebuildable now waiting for them to get back to me..   I paid $600 for the whole tractor the price of a clutch is between $500 and $600.

• Sad 1

johnnymag3

Thats insane money

8ntruck

That is similar to a PTO bell for a C-195.  Toro still has new ones that sell for about $400.

pfrederi

You might be able to buy an old style Electric PTO like WH used years ago.  I would guess there would be at least on threaded hole in the block that you could use for the mounting bracket

PTO.JPG

ztnoo

Take a look at Ebay.

Use "lawn tractor electric clutch" for your search term.

My guess is you can find something very much like what you already have.

Good luck.