Bye the air fill cap I mean 

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

9ECEAB27-6FE8-48FC-AEED-DFA5C42D8BD0.jpeg.8f34dba4cc474a226af5512dd41bd97f.jpeg

A6E50381-6813-428F-AB6A-16832E4C478F.jpeg

2E1627B7-EA00-4606-B4BF-F565E65C7111.jpeg

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

There’s my rjs rims the one on the other side on the front is the worst with a hole you could stick yer pinky finger in 

• Sad 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

There’s my rjs rims the one on the other side on the front is the worst with a hole you could stick yer pinky finger in 

JB Weld will make it good enough to use a tube in the tire.

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy

Ok thanks 

• Like 1

oliver2-44
On 7/11/2022 at 6:00 PM, The Freightliner Guy said:

For a pulley remover

Many auto parts stores will loan you one 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

Would it be worth it to just try it how it is for testing or is that to dangerous and risky for my leg?

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

Also do any of y’all know how hard it’d be to replace the rip cord spring

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

718913CE-A68C-42FF-A246-F63DF4787A45.jpeg

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

As you can see it’s not spooled all the way in cuz it doesn’t retract I have to manually rewind the cord by turning the pulley on the motor with my bare hands but I’ve never attempted to actually start it cus the carb and tank needs cleaning and I don’t want to have to hand cranck the cord in after every pull

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

As you can see it’s not spooled all the way in cuz it doesn’t retract I have to manually rewind the cord by turning the pulley on the motor with my bare hands but I’ve never attempted to actually start it cus the carb and tank needs cleaning and I don’t want to have to hand cranck the cord in after every pull

There is a long coiled spring inside the cover that normally retracts the cable. It is supposed to have a ratchet that disconnects the starter mechanism from the engine flywheel when the engine is running or when the rope has been retracted. It's NOT a good sign that you can wind the cord by turning the engine backward!

If you decide to try to fix it, be sure to wear sturdy eye protection and gloves. The spring is very powerful, will uncoil unexpectedly like a vicious snake (it is several feet long), and will be quite tricky to get properly wound back with the rope properly wound in. There are probably some YouTube videos on how to do it--it's not easily described in words!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

Ok thanks also here’s a pic of grandpa Reese on my rj

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

E83A5485-AE2A-4D2C-9F03-B962AA1BBB26.jpeg

D67DA654-C578-4AF5-8257-9D0EFE3B3815.jpeg

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

ineedanother
4 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

Also do any of y’all know how hard it’d be to replace the rip cord spring

A couple options (pull cord, rip cords come on parachutes :D ask me how I know). If the spring has broken, sometimes it's just as easy to go to a used mower graveyard and pick one up for a few bucks. B&S 5 hp are pretty common. As @Handy Don has said, the next part is easier done than said but I'll give it a shot...

If the spring is still intact but just needs tension, it's a pretty easy fix. Remove the shroud (containing the cord and spring), and it will likely either have a center bolt, or a series of tabs around the outside holding the spool in place. Whichever method, There is enough slop to bend the tabs up or loosen the bolt to where you can dig the cord out with a pick or screw driver where it enters the shroud and wrap it in the direction which will tighten the spring while holding the spool from lifting out of the shroud. Usually one rotation will be sufficient. Two could be too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

Ok thanks hopefully I don’t die haha and hopefully I don’t round the bolts but thanks guys for the info

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

How would I bring it to a stop cuz I don’t think it has brakes 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

There should be a brake band on the left side of the transmission 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

Is it the fly wheel thing

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy
16 hours ago, Handy Don said:

There is a long coiled spring inside the cover that normally retracts the cable. It is supposed to have a ratchet that disconnects the starter mechanism from the engine flywheel when the engine is running or when the rope has been retracted. It's NOT a good sign that you can wind the cord by turning the engine backward!

If you decide to try to fix it, be sure to wear sturdy eye protection and gloves. The spring is very powerful, will uncoil unexpectedly like a vicious snake (it is several feet long), and will be quite tricky to get properly wound back with the rope properly wound in. There are probably some YouTube videos on how to do it--it's not easily described in words!

Would this work

image.jpg

• Like 1

Handy Don

Probably looks like this. You can see this is shipped with a steel band holding it compressed--gives you an idea of its potential!

The outer hook is to the housing somewhere and the inner hook is to the spindle that the pull rope wraps around. The spindle also has the ratchet that engages the flywheel cup.

I think you really need to look for some videos and manuals for the Briggs engine to get a more solid feel for this.

image.png.189f7780a2037fbfe862315ed8a5360c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

Do what do you think is wrong with the spring 

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

Sorry miss typed 

• Like 1

Handy Don

If you've got the shroud off, take several closeup pictures of the inside of the shroud from different angles showing the recoil mechanism and also the cup bolted to the flywheel and post 'em. There are lots of possible problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

Ok I’ll get those as soon as I can but I might end up rounding the bolts hopefully not though 

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

I’ll tell you guys the day I’m taking the rj home hopefully soon I need my dad to help me cuz he owns all the trailers we have 

• Like 1