Thegearhead0324

1257 Proud

Retired Wrencher
On 7/2/2022 at 7:33 AM, Thegearhead0324 said:

Here are a couple pics from 2009 I believe the year was. My dad use to work on small engines, mower, blowers, etc. He repaired a mower for my uncles friend and my dad had his eye on this 1257 stashed in the back of his barn/shed. Instead of taking cash, he took the tractor. 

He took it all apart and worked on it whenever he had the time. He cleaned it up and sanded down all the rust and painted all the parts. Then never had a chance to put it back together or make it run.

In 2016, he moved in a building where he couldn't have anything except his car (like a retirement place.) So I got the tractor. I downloaded the manuals for it and put it back together. Then got it running, new fluids, greased up, etc. Then found a plow attachment 2 hours away from my house so bought that, was it really rough shape so I painted and restored that to match the tractor. Bought accessories like the hubcaps, stack, headlights, etc to made it nicer. Then I saw they had sickle bars, which I'm obsessed with just how they look on a tractor. I posted on here in wanted section. Gentleman named Walt messaged me who lived 3 hours away from my house, said he had one he wanted to get rid of. So for a good price I drove out and bought that. Same situation, old and rough shape. BUT, everything was there. So restored that. Was actually fun, I find things like this interesting. 

I kick myself in the butt tho, because when my dad got the tractor, he got the dump cart with it. So when he moved, I didn't have room for the WH dump cart. Plus I was younger so I really didn't care so he gave it away to someone else. So I could've had the cart too! I'll find another one someday. 

I apologize for the long post, just a little history of the ol 1257. 

0719091126.jpg

0720091656.jpg

I had a1057 from Canajoharie one time. It was so dirty could hardly see the engine. Pretey much a basket case. But when I was done with it looked like yours.

Thegearhead0324

I noticed while taking all the wheels off that it needs tie rods pretty bad, so plan on doing those as well. I must be getting older because more and more things start to bug me. The clear plastic fuel filter I just replaced last year already broke, where the filter element meets the plastic. Just rattling around while running, like really. Now I'm just going to run a nice and neat metal line with a filter in a different spot with less shaking.  

• Like 2

Tonytoro416

I got these APE RACING filters and also check valves from the jungle site and I was very happy with them. They are nice quality 

FB458991-5E0C-41AB-A8FD-A37DE245817A.png

• Like 2

Pullstart

Thanks for bringing this story back up!  The white accents look great!

• Like 2

Thegearhead0324

Thank you. I'll look into those filters, try to find one that doesn't come apart in less than a year.

Yea I figured I'd tag onto this thread, just wanna get it safe and looking decent because I'd like to take it to the show this year, would be my first time going. Looking forward to meeting some folks and looking at the goodies. 

• Like 1

Blasterdad
8 minutes ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

Thank you. I'll look into those filters, try to find one that doesn't come apart in less than a year.

1 hour ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

The clear plastic fuel filter I just replaced last year already broke, where the filter element meets the plastic. Just rattling around while running,

I quit using them for the same reason, I've had the "media" disintegrate also...:(

I started using the ones with micro screen. 

IMG_0525.JPG.4127e9b399286680ca9c7399b31452fd.JPGIMG_0406.JPG.ed40dff381c74d5d51632cd0d37770dc.JPGIMG_0264.JPG.9523db9912c6c8354fce64f30d7101c1.JPGIMG_0263.JPG.a6c2e97755cf48e5dc5c00e0f82000de.JPG

• Like 3

Docwheelhorse

Good Looking Rig! I like the GT14 air cleaner elbow add on

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Interesting you folks would bring up the fuel filter issue. Just last night I was setting parts aside to put on to one of my own tractors and I noticed that there's a HUGE difference in quality and fit and finish between a Stens brand and the generic I had laying there with it.

• Like 2

Thegearhead0324
1 hour ago, Docwheelhorse said:

Good Looking Rig! I like the GT14 air cleaner elbow add on

Thank you. I had a stack on it, so I thought it would look cool with the air cleaner on the other side. But took the stack off, still gonna keep it on there since I still have a muffler poking out the other side. 

Thegearhead0324
25 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Interesting you folks would bring up the fuel filter issue. Just last night I was setting parts aside to put on to one of my own tractors and I noticed that there's a HUGE difference in quality and fit and finish between a Stens brand and the generic I had laying there with it.

I think I'm going to go with one of these filters, had all sizes so 1/4" is in it. 

20230216_104005.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

I think I'm going to go with one of these filters, had all sizes so 1/4" is in it. 

20230216_104005.jpg

I like that idea. Extra protection and extra chrome. Bonus.:handgestures-thumbupright:

I'd like to see a couple pictures of your setup when it's done.

• Like 1

Thegearhead0324
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I like that idea. Extra protection and extra chrome. Bonus.:handgestures-thumbupright:

I'd like to see a couple pictures of your setup when it's done.

Ill be sure to post pictures. I have more to do anyways, gotta order tie rod stuff and hopefully tires in the next few weeks as they are crazy expensive

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

20230216_104005.jpg

Hey when you go to put this thing on with the metal piping / tubing you may want to avoid using copper. I was going to do that but there are folks say it's too brittle for usage on high vibration applications..

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

Ill be sure to post pictures. I have more to do anyways, gotta order tie rod stuff and hopefully tires in the next few weeks as they are crazy expensive

Tires have gone so nuts lately that it might be worth your while to contact local salvage yards or watch the scrap metal people in the area. See if they've got any mowers or tractors that are being recycled and they don't want the tires.

If you have a salvage yard for tractors specifically you can check there. Lincoln at a to z. Something like that.

• Like 1

Thegearhead0324

The ol 1257 got new home made tie rods (with greasable ends of course.) 

20230305_170507.jpg

20230305_170519.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Retired Wrencher
On 7/2/2022 at 7:46 AM, 953 nut said:

No apology needed, that is an interesting write-up and most of us don't have a family tie with our Wheel Horses. Your Dad is probably proud of your restoration, so are we.

Well said Richard!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher
On 2/16/2023 at 11:46 AM, ebinmaine said:

Hey when you go to put this thing on with the metal piping / tubing you may want to avoid using copper. I was going to do that but there are folks say it's too brittle for usage on high vibration applications..

Eric I have been using the Brigs/Straiton 150 Micron filters for a while now. I put these just before the fuel pump. There cheap I buy them in bulk.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
On 7/2/2022 at 7:46 AM, 953 nut said:

No apology needed, that is an interesting write-up and most of us don't have a family tie with our Wheel Horses. Your Dad is probably proud of your restoration, so are we.

Well said Richard!

@Thegearhead0324 Nicely done on this project. Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

Thegearhead0324

Tires are in and only had time to put on one wheel spacer tonight. Getting there... 

20230315_121513.jpg

20230316_201113.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Thegearhead0324

I also decided to go from mechanical to electric fuel pump, so I bought a facet posi flow pump and will be using a relay along with a switch (along with ignition switch powering it on.) 

So basically I gotta mount tubes+tires on rims, redo the fuel system, and change oil, then touch up everything when its done. (Or should I say its never done.) 

• Like 4

sjoemie himself
On 3/17/2023 at 1:26 AM, Thegearhead0324 said:

Tires are in and only had time to put on one wheel spacer tonight. Getting there... 

20230315_121513.jpg

This restoration is looking excellent.

If I may ask, what tires and which size did you get?

• Like 1

Thegearhead0324
2 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

This restoration is looking excellent.

If I may ask, what tires and which size did you get?

Front tires I got are deestone 4x8 tri ribs, rear tires are carlisle AGs 26x12x12. I had to look for wider rear rims for them boys. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
58 minutes ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

Front tires I got are deestone 4x8 tri ribs, rear tires are carlisle AGs 26x12x12. I had to look for wider rear rims for them boys. 

Will the 26" diameter fit under the stock fender pan or did you raise/move things? 

Thegearhead0324
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Will the 26" diameter fit under the stock fender pan or did you raise/move things? 

I actually just mounted the tires on rims just now. They just barely touch the pan but with human weight they will touch so I'm going to raise it half inch. She looks meeaaaannnnn. Still gotta do fronts, they were a bear to get on there! 

20230318_101831.jpg

20230318_101841.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5