ineedanother

c-160 Auto issues

ineedanother

Well guys (and gals), I'm not really in refurb mode with this c-160 with everything else I have going on but I've hit it with the pressure washer and have done a bit of investigating to see what I have.

The back story is that this is a 1976 c-160 auto that I paid $200 for as part of a package deal. I also got a 36" tiller for $200 and my goal is to pair them up and probably just keep them as a dedicated tilling unit. 

The issues: 16hp runs well, new carb, burns clean. Tires were shot but I had replacements. Hydraulic lift wouldn't work but that was an easy fix, all well with that now. The tractor was worked hard though and the PO said it had been pulled out of a field at some point and believe that, but it also came with a dozer blade and I think that's where its real wounds came from.

The left rear hub was spun pretty badly but I have another. the keyway isn't great but I think it will be okay. The frame has been repaired, although poorly, where the transaxle attaches. I just picked up a donor frame in great shape so I plan to just swap everything over, until today...

The rear case is broken (90-1140, pic attached) but it holds fluid which is clean. My major concern right now is that when I block the front tires I can spin the right rear but the left (with the damaged hub) does nothing. I really want the hydro lift for this heavy a$$ tiller but have an 8-speed on the donor unit but it only has 1" axles. I suspect there will be no way to really know without separating the case but does this sound like I should write off the transmission and look for a replacement or is the dead axle not a terminal sign?

1966756385_Transmissionpic.jpg.53233016027b746dca7d90dad4f73319.jpg

Thanks, Randy

daveoman1966

The C-160 with the 90-1140 Sundstrand is an 8-pinion differential... not a limited slip as if it was a 10-pinion.  That is, both reqr wheels probably won't spin when the tractor is tied down...just one side.    

Replace the left hub and, if damaged, the axle too.  I have a good used 1-1/8" axle for ya, and the right side trans case too.  

Inasmuch as you'll need to tear down the trans to replace that axle (if bad), I can send you parts to repair. 

• Like 1

ineedanother

I appreciate that Dave. I think I'm going to plan on using the 8-speed while I tear this one down. I really hate to lose the hydraulic lift but maybe it will be a short rebuild.

BTW, I was born in Butler and quite a few of my friends and family went to Slippery Rock which is probably right in your area.

Achto
1 minute ago, ineedanother said:

I really hate to lose the hydraulic lift but maybe it will be a short rebuild.

There really is not much inside the tranny case on these hydro's. A couple of shafts & gears and the diff. All the gear changing is done by the hydro motor speed.

• Like 1

daveoman1966
19 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

I appreciate that Dave. I think I'm going to plan on using the 8-speed while I tear this one down. I really hate to lose the hydraulic lift but maybe it will be a short rebuild.

BTW, I was born in Butler and quite a few of my friends and family went to Slippery Rock which is probably right in your area.

Butler is about 70 miles south of me.  Have a niece in Slippery Rock. 

Went to the 422 Auction near Butler about 20 years ago 1994...bought 2 cars/truck and still driving the 1991 S-10 pickup...that I paid $2,900 for. 

Edited by daveoman1966

ineedanother
5 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

Butler is about 70 miles south of me.  Have a niece in Slippery Rock. 

Went to the 422 Auction near Butler about 20 years ago 1994...bought 2 cars/truck and still driving the 1991 S-10 pickup...that I paid $2,900 for. 

Ah yes. Some friend bought an old Maverick at that auction and did bad things with that and a 302. Long time ago.

daveoman1966

This is the GEARBOX of the C-160 Auto trans.  

Not complicated at all.   

MAY26- 037.jpg

MAY26- 045.jpg

MAY26- 041.jpg

• Like 2

ineedanother
14 minutes ago, Achto said:

There really is not much inside the tranny case on these hydro's. A couple of shafts & gears and the diff. All the gear changing is done by the hydro motor speed.

Good to know. I'm fairly confident in managing the rebuild if it's worth it in the end as opposed to looking for a donor. Truth be told, I would much rather break it down and put it back together so I know what I have when it's done.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ineedanother
2 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

This is the GEARBOX of the C-160 Auto trans.  

Not complicated at all.   

MAY26- 037.jpg

MAY26- 045.jpg

MAY26- 041.jpg

That looks manageable and I do have a pretty decent machine shop nearby if needed. I might try to run it a bit to see if anything else rears its ugly head before I dive in though.

Handy Don
2 hours ago, squonk said:

A-Z tractor has a repair hub for worn axles.

https://a-ztractor.com/product/105763-03-repair-hub-for-1-1-8-axle/

repair-hub-3-433x325.jpg

These are extremely beefy. I would use one any time over trying to repair the keyway on an axle. You can adapt for lug nuts, as well,

• Like 1