RedRover

Replalcing axle seal 2112K805

RedRover

As a novice WH collector I'm confused about trying to replace the seal for the axle on my 2112K805.  Can the seal be replaced without opening the transaxle?  Today I watched a video "Toro/Wheelhorse hub removal and transaxle seal replacement".  That video made it look like something I could do myself.  According to my parts diagram the transaxle seal looks different than the video.  To repeat my question can the transaxle seal be replaced from the outside without having to open the transaxle?

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Yes it can be replaced without splitting the cases.

First thing you want to do it check the bearing. See if it has any up and down movement. If ther is the bearing needs replacing. Some seals have been superseded and may not look like the old ones. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

The parts list may be shared with a model that uses bigger axles so there will be two seals listed. I think your model has 1" diameter axles and not the 1-1/8" axles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Your model # should be typed like this,  21-12K805.  It should have the #110996 transmission with 1" axles.  If there is no up / down or side / side play in the axle, you can replace the seal without opening the trans.  The seal for 1" axles is SKF #9815...WH #100863. 

Pull off the wheel and hub.  Check end of axle and where the woodruff key goes for burrs.  File any burrs smooth.  You can pry out the seal with a Carter Pin Puller (picture below),  an ice pick with the end bent 90 degrees works also.  Then masking tape the ends of the axle and keyway, slide on seal and gently tap in seal...working a punch around various point of the seal, or use a piece of conduit to tap in seal.  :occasion-xmas:

2008_0811STEVEBOS0007.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
18 hours ago, RedRover said:

As a novice WH collector

I will assume you have never removed a Wheel Horse hub.    This can be a challenge.

Do not try to remove the hub by hammering on the hub as there is a snap ring inside the transmission that fixes the axle in position.

If you pound on the hub , you most likely will shear off or damage the snap ring resulting in a transmission disassembly to replace the snap ring.

Use a puller as shown in Steves post to remove the hub from the axle.

After the hub and old seal have been removed,  I like to use the hub as a gage to remove burrs and damaged areas around the keyway.    By using Hi-Spot bluing or black magic marker, you can locate high spots on the axle and carefully work them down with a fine file until the hub will neatly slide onto the axle.  You do not want to pound the hub back onto the axle.

After  the hub is sliding on, I find it is the ideal tool to use as a slide hammer to tap the new seal into place.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

RedRover

Thank you folk responding to my question about seal for transaxle.  People that respond to this forum and give great guidance are just like the Wheel Horse legend.....very dependable, trust worthy as well as other adjectives too many to list herein. 

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

it is the ideal tool to use as a slide hammer to tap the new seal into place.

Same here Ed.

I often put a nylon thrust washer between the hub and transmission found at most hardware stores. Not sure if it helps but can't hurt. 

1656293946993256431940032567113.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Willie

Does this article apply to me, my C120 and it’s leaking oil seal?

On a 1977 C120 8-speed, can a person install a new 100443 oil seal replacing a leaking seal on the 105875 rear axil without tearing down the 8-speed transmission? Looks like I should be able to if I have the right tools and someone can give me some coaching on how to do it. Toro has the part. I appreciate your comments!

Edited by Willie

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, Willie said:

Does this article apply to me, my C120 and it’s leaking oil seal?

Yep.  

• Thanks 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yep.  

:text-yeahthat:

Be careful Willie Toro can be quite proud of their parts. Most seals can be had more affordable elsewhere. 

• Like 1