Jack Orsi

Deck deflector

Jack Orsi

Just took the mulching attachment off my deck.. Cutting the really long grass easily now.  Wanted to put the deflector back on but unless there is a trick to getting the springs back in place I am going to have to forego that part of the reattachment.  It's heavy enough that I don't really foresee it flipping up much. Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Jack Orsi

Decided the deflector really doesn't spread the cuttings any better and just eliminates the ability to cut close from both sides!

lynnmor

The deflector is mostly for safety since it prevents debris from flying at an upward angle and going far.  I keep mine in place for safety and liability reasons.

davem1111
10 hours ago, Jack Orsi said:

Decided the deflector really doesn't spread the cuttings any better and just eliminates the ability to cut close from both sides!

I have 4 decks and have never even *seen* a deflector (other than in pictures), let alone used one.  I personally understand the safety concerns but have not had issues with flying debris, although I am careful about what direction the discharge is aimed if I'm going over anything "questionable".  

Jeff-C175

I have the deflector for my 48" deck and didn't use it for like 15 years... then one day it picked up a rock and hit the house and shattered a piece of the vinyl siding.  So I installed the deflector.  I used it for a year and took it off again because while it may deflect the 'once in 15 year rock', it really only served to clump the grass up and clog the exit chute.

• Like 1

Lee1977

I didn't use the deflector for years as it just clumps up the heavy grass. I reinstalled it level on my C-120 to keep the grass stains off my right rear wheel.

SAM-1383-4.jpg

I still have the deflector on my newer decks, but I removed the flat strip of metal from the bar.

SAM-1442-3.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

pgiro

A few years ago I hit something that was sitting in the grass. It was a loud bang! and I knew I hit something substantial but didn't know what it was.

Some days later I found out what it was. There was a large bolt literally embedded in the side of my camper. Thank God it didn't hit anyone!

Now I won't run a mower without a deflector.

Jeff-C175
15 minutes ago, pgiro said:

won't run a mower without a deflector.

Makes me wish there was a way to put one on without causing restriction and clogging the chute.  Adding that to my Engineering list...

• Like 1

Handy Don
11 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Makes me wish there was a way to put one on without causing restriction and clogging the chute.  Adding that to my Engineering list...

Rear discharge.

Solved. :lol:

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
25 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Rear discharge.

Working on one right now in fact!  Almost ready to begin reassembly.

It's going to be a 10' deck.  :text-lol:

8ntruck

Yup.  I've noticed that my RD deck does not throw things near as often, nor as far as my SD deck.

The SD deck keeps the back of my shirt cleaner, though.

Edited by 8ntruck

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, 8ntruck said:

And the rear wheels, and transaxle too I bet...

The P.O. of the 42" I'm working on had installed a piece of vinyl cove molding across the rear.

I am wondering what WH used when these were new?  There are bolt holes, so something had to be there.  Maybe the IPL will tell me...

sjoemie himself
17 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

without causing restriction

Something you see on flail mowers quite often is that they use a row of chains to prevent heavy items to fly off with lightning speed. Maybe that would be an option for your deck aswell?

kettingafscherming-l-702mm-votex-4505943~2.jpg

621dfadf559bc_652730_Votex_Roadmaster-RM2307_4.jpg

• Like 2

cleat

This is my rear discharge finishing mower on the day it was delivered.

It had a row of chains across the back.

I took them off because they caused the grass to clump.

Ended up selling that mower because it never really cut the lawn too well and went back to using the trusty 48" side discharge Wheel Horse deck.

1228383099_Tractorjustdelivered11.JPG.16f164ee4134e77ca22f2bc93936a6a0.JPG

• Like 1

Handy Don
10 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

the 42" I'm working on had installed a piece of vinyl cove molding across the rear

10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

The cove is what I did on our 42"RD. We are happy with it and haven't noticed any particular clumping or buildup of grass in the lower rear or on shirt backs. :)

The IPL didn't show a flap but I'v seen a couple units that had a metal deflector that extended 2-3".  My suspicion is that those things became rust magnets and impeded installation and removal and hence got removed!

Just finished going over a very lightly used 42" Recycler that I picked up at the Show. The underside powdercoat was mostly loose but I got there before the rust set in and got a good coat of protection on it. I did test it before starting in and was impressed at the quality of the cut and the lack of clumping. It does need more input from the engine to do all that fine chopping but with the now-resharpend blades I expect it'll go a bit easier (these blades' cutting edge angle is the shallowest of any mower I've worked on--knifelike).

Like others have mentioned, I'd like to have it cut at 4"--current max is 3.5". It has nearly new gage wheels, though, so I'm not eager to go for new larger wheels. Instead I may try extending the gage wheel support arms an inch (I have a spare of that part from a parts deck so am willing to experiment :rolleyes:). Have to make sure they don't bump up against the rear tires.

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

a row of chains

I like that idea!  Even if not only from the "it looks cool" angle!  I might see what I've got in my scrap bin.

But I'll probably refit the vinyl piece that came on it as it's in good shape still and all the hardware is there already.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

IPL didn't show a flap

I looked at a bunch and didn't see anything either.  Makes me wonder why the five holes are there on the rear apron.

1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

extending the gage wheel support arms an inch

You could probably do a 'bolt on' solution, easily reversible if you don't like it or it interferes.

Handy Don
40 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

You could probably do a 'bolt on' solution, easily reversible if you don't like it or it interferes.

Yep, that's the idea. If it wins, then a welded response. Scrap pile doesn't have any suitable metal at the moment, though!

The complete recycler deck is quite heavy, ~175 lbs., so it'll have to be a strong support. 

• Like 2

sjoemie himself
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

refit the vinyl

Always good to have options :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

lynnmor

I wonder if the holes at the rear discharge was for a collection system. 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
46 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I wonder if the holes at the rear discharge was for a collection system. 

I don't know that there's enough room under there for any sort of attachments.  But, I have not had this deck mounted to anything yet so I dunno...

8ntruck

The traditional collection system for a RD deck is a tow behind sweeper.

• Like 1

8ntruck

@Jeff-C175 did the vinyl cove just stick straight off the back?  Cove up or down? 

Jeff-C175
34 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

@Jeff-C175 did the vinyl cove just stick straight off the back?  Cove up or down? 

Yes, bolted across the back, straight out, cove down.

The stuff he used was really flexible, more so than any cove molding I've ever installed, so it hangs down some from the back, floppy sloppy.  Which is good for it's intended purpose I think.

I'm almost at the point of re-installing it and I'll post pic in my deck refresh thread.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

clueless

Once you see how far and the damage a cars lug nut thrown from a zero turns 215 mph blade tip speed with the deflector up can do :o you tend to put yours back on and keep it down when mowing :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2