GaryRat

1967 WheelHorse trans axle issue

GaryRat

I finally got this old tractor running but am disappointed to find that it does not want to move so well.  Before I attempted to drive it, I made sure there was sufficient hydraulic fluid in the axle (there was).  When I first tried to go by pushing the lever forward, the tractor would just  slightly lurch, not really move but give the indication that it wanted to.  I kept trying and it finally began to drive but not with any speed or power and while it would go downhill okay, it would not go back up unless I dismounted and walked along beside it.  My other WheelHorse, a 1968 model has a tow/run valve on the transaxle but the 67 does not have it.  I am guessing that the valve is there to prevent damage from towing or pushing the tractor with axle engaged and I have no idea what has been done to this machine in its past as I bought it from the scrap yard.  So far, I have checked belt tension to the axle which seems good but wonder if there are adjustments that can be made to ensure that the forward reverse lever is properly engaging.  I am hoping that since it does move it will just be an adjustment. Anybody have any thoughts on this?  I really need to mow the lawn and the deck on the 68 is pretty worn to the point of uselessness.

lynnmor

I don't know what model you have, but the tow valve may be in a different position, they weren't always the same.  Since you have it running, check the fluid level again, it may have dropped as the system refilled.  Did you drain and refill the transmission? Was the oil clean?

Achto

All Sunstrand's in the 60's have a tow valve. Your '68 probably has a handle on the tow valve, '67 will require a wrench to open & close it. 

• Like 3

GaryRat

Thanks for the quick replies!  I believe my 1967 WheelHorse is a 1277.  I do see two hex bolt heads in the same location as the tow valve on the 68 Charger 12.  They are under the seat latch but there is no indication of which or which way to turn them if they are indeed the tow valves.  I will check the oil again which is nice and clear.  I did not drain the and refill the oil but do notice that there is a new filter on the axle.  As I mentioned, I got it from the scrapyard and had the opportunity to talk to the guy who was scrapping it.  He said he was scrapping it because it smoked to much which I understood to mean the engine was worn out.  When engine was rebuilt, I found the insides to be in good shape, nice, clean, smooth and unscored cylinder wall with good rings on the piston so he may have been just saying stuff.  I never tried to run it as I got it but rebuilt it first.

Edited by GaryRat
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Clockwise snugged is what you want so the horse will drive.  Counter-clockwise  1/4 - 1/2 turn so you can push it.

• Like 1

GaryRat

Thanks for that info!

WHX??
1 hour ago, Achto said:

'68 probably has a handle on the tow valve

He says this is a '67 Dan so may or may not have the handle. Located just in front of the tool box left side. Ther should be a sticker on the tool box just in back of it but may be gone or painted over . I thought I had some pics but can get them. Half turn on the tow valve is all it takes. 

877 1077 1277 Tow valve (1).pdf

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

Sundstrands have the tow valve at three different locations.

#1.    a screw driver slotted stem on the left front

#2.    a tee handle petcock type handle on the left top

#3.   a hex bolt head on the left rear....1/2 I think?

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

hex bolt is 1/2"  :USA:

• Thanks 1

squonk

1/2" hex bolt. Right where my finger is pointing. :helmet:

IMG_20220616_163235679_HDR.jpg.e28e7f7665c1e966f132782fcd32a211.jpg

• Like 1

GaryRat

My mother told me it was not polite to point but that sure helps!  I tried to turn the one under the seat latch part (similar location to the 1968 Charger 12) and found it quite tight so I didn't mess with it.  I'll be messing with it more in the morning.  Thanks for that!

• Haha 1

GaryRat

I found the bolt head backed out so I tightened it until I felt some resistance. Seems to work just fine now!  Thanks for all the help!  Now to grease it all up and mow.

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

stevasaurus

Right, you just need to snug that tow valve.  :occasion-xmas:  Got onto my 876 once and it moved but not well.  Then I remembered about that valve that I opened last fall.  :notworthy:

GaryRat

After tightening the bolt/towing valve the tractor is moving properly.  It still has some twitchyness in the throttle control and I'll need a bit more time messing with that to make it work properly.  Then I greased where ever I could and went to mow the lawn.  I was disappointed that while the grass that I just passed over did not look very cut.  Shut it all down and got under the deck to find that the blades are on backwards!  I got another job for tomorrow now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, GaryRat said:

the blades are on backwards! 

You would be surprised to find out how many times that has happened.

WHX??

I just put sharp blades on the missus mower... I best recheck them. :)

• Like 1

rjg854
32 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I just put sharp blades on the missus mower... I best recheck them. :)

How many "pops" did you have when you changed those blades :teasing-poke: