Inspectorjoe

The Rodney Dangerfield syndrome

Inspectorjoe

I don't have a huge amount of grass, so I use a 30" Toro Timemaster mower to cut it. The Personal Pace system works amazingly well. Lately I've been having some back issues that make walking distances a bit difficult , so Saturday, I picked up a 211-5SB to cut the grass on days it's acting up. The guy was asking $215. I'm not one to beat people up when they price things fairly, so I gave him his asking price. It's a cool little tractor, with a really low step-through height. But it's kind of strange not having a lift arm. The only lift for the 30" single blade deck is the height adjustment. In its mid-point or lower setting, the deck actually sits on the ground. I downloaded the manual and will figure out the issue when I get some free time. This little lightweight mower seems like it's going to do exactly what I bought it to do, and I'm happy with it.

I'm wondering why lawn tractors seem to get no respect in tractor groups. I see it all the time. Someone will post something about a lawn tractor, and inevitably someone else posts something condescending along the line of "that's not a garden tractor". Well no sh*t! Of course it's not. Not everyone needs to plow snow or till a garden. I also see it on Facebook with pickup trucks. Any time there's a discussion on compact trucks, some idiot will come out with a statement about their puny towing capacity. I guess they feel everyone should have a minimum towing capacity of 10,000 pounds, regardless of whether or not they ever intend to tow. What's with the the disrespect?

My rant is over. 

20220521_123348.jpg

20220521_173508.jpg

• Like 5

lynnmor

The problem is that they are built to a lower price point and don’t have the ruggedness of the heavy duty tractors.  The classic Wheel Horse tractors can be kept in service almost indefinitely.  That said, I have a lightweight disposable tractor for spraying and spreading when the ground is soft and it also offers easy on and off.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Because they were made for the person who did not need a garden tractor, they were not a high end.  They were made well (Wheel Horse), but  they are harder to find parts for because they were considered "throw away".  If you have and take care of one, it will serve you well.  I think the real rub is they just are not as collectable to those that frequent this site.  No offense is intended by anyone, I would think.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
5 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I think the real rub is they just are not as collectable to those that frequent this site

Basically... I think people consider these machines to be "lawn mowers" rather than tractors. We know that they are TRACTORS, in smaller form.

Possibly... they haven't ever seen what they can do...?

Anyway... everyone who I know refers to my Wheel Horses as tractors... otherwise... I can't be friends with them... :lol:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Haha 4

Snoopy11
10 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

they were considered "throw away"

I'll put it a different way... one of the machines in my possession has been considered 'throw away' for 27 years now... :lol:

Don

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

JoeM

My brother got a 211-4 and a 208-4.... loves them, they have plenty of power and the cut is really good. Both have 36" RD decks.

Steel hoods too!

At work we had guys driving big diesel, extended cab, duallys! Never hauled or towed more than a load of air. We called it little pecker syndrome.

I drove my wifes hand me down minivan, 200,000 miles, never let me down and a pocket full of Benjamins! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

kpinnc

The difference between garden tractors and lawnmowers is huge.

That being said, one of the toughest (throw away?) mowers I ever owned was a Craftsman. Dollar for dollar, in 1970s or 2000s value, I would think a WH mower would be tough as can be for what it is. Most things like it last a long time if taken care of.

And anyone who wants to poke fun at my little Toyota pickup can go... Fly a kite! :angry-teeth:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 6

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, kpinnc said:

The difference between garden tractors and lawnmowers is huge.

That being said, one of the toughest (throw away?) mowers I ever owned was a Craftsman. Dollar for dollar, in 1970s or 2000s value, I would think a WH mower would be tough as can be for what it is. Most things like it last a long time if taken care of.

And anyone who wants to poke fun at my little Toyota pickup can go... Fly a kite! :angry-teeth:

Toyotas aren’t the favorite truck of middle eastern guerilla’s and regular military because they suck…

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Pullstart
4 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Basically... I think people consider these machines to be "lawn mowers" rather than tractors. We know that they are TRACTORS, in smaller form.

Anyway... everyone who I know refers to my Wheel Horses as tractors... otherwise... I can't be friends with them... :lol:

Don

It’s funny, other than the Senior, I’ve never paid more for a garden tractor than I paid for my mower!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
6 hours ago, Inspectorjoe said:

someone else posts something condescending also see it on Facebook

Our Moderators are quite good about keeping us in line and conversations civil. I don't use Facebook at all because it is so full of negativism. I have found that the majority of the posts on this site are informative and friendly, the others we tend to ignore.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ZXT
4 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I'm right there with ya! 

I probably had just a tad over what I should've in the bed of mine. 

And it still knocked down around 27 MPG on the 2 hour trip home.

IMG_1472.PNG

• Excellent 3

Horse Newbie
2 minutes ago, ZXT said:

I'm right there with ya! 

I probably had just a tad over what I should've in the bed of mine. 

And it still knocked down around 27 MPG on the 2 hour trip home.

IMG_1472.PNG

84 model ?

• Like 1

ZXT
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

84 model ?

'85. 22R/5 speed.

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
17 minutes ago, ZXT said:

'85. 22R/5 speed.

How many miles on the clock ?

Handy Don
2 hours ago, ZXT said:

IMG_1472.PNG

Not being kind to that truck. You got a beef with it? :rolleyes:

Edited by Handy Don

ZXT
3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

How many miles on the clock ?

Nearing 295k. 

1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Not being kind to that truck. You got a beef with it? :rolleyes:

I hadn't planned on hauling anything home other than a transmission, but when I got there, it was a "take it today or its going to scrap" kind of deal. IIRC, I had a 400 big block dodge, a Poly 318 dodge, Dodge auto trans, 5 sets of big block heads, multiple intake manifolds, and a few A/C compressors in the back. Front end felt lighter than usual but it had no problem at all on the 140ish mile drive home.

It's a good little truck that has served me well. Paid $500 for it in 2015 at 220k miles with a blown head gasket, replaced that and the engine started getting a little tired around 270k. For a while I had a fuel injected inline 6 out of a Supra in it, but about 6 months back I converted it back to another 22R and have been driving the snot out of it. Haven't been able to get this carb quite right as of yet so I'm only getting 26 or so highway, opposed to the 29-31 it got before. Still can't complain too much!

• Like 2

Inspectorjoe
14 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The problem is that they are built to a lower price point and don’t have the ruggedness of the heavy duty tractors.  The classic Wheel Horse tractors can be kept in service almost indefinitely.  That said, I have a lightweight disposable tractor for spraying and spreading when the ground is soft and it also offers easy on and off.

No, they don't have the ruggedness of heavy duty tractors, but they don't necessarily need it for their main intended purpose - mowing. There are disposable tractors out there, but I wouldn't put 211's in that category. 

A few months ago, I bought another lawn tractor to pull a trailer without damaging the lawn in wet springtime conditions. I don't consider my Ingersoll-built Case 110 XC Black Frame to be a disposable tractor. It has a lot in common with my new 211-5SB - a fairly heavy frame, and flathead 11 HP Briggs mated to a 5-speed Peerless transmission. To control vibration, it has rubber engine mounts and a 20+ pound cast iron weight bolted to the engine. It's definitely not a throwaway.

20220523_130336.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Inspectorjoe
13 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Don

When I was considering buying this, I ran across a YouTube video of a guy who had acquired one. He had absolute contempt for it. He said he couldn't call it a tractor because it was just a lawn mower. He also said that making such cheap junk was the beginning of the end for Wheel Horse. The guy was clueless as to its capabilities, durability, and most of all, its target consumer group. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Inspectorjoe
11 hours ago, JoeM said:

My brother got a 211-4 and a 208-4.... loves them, they have plenty of power and the cut is really good. Both have 36" RD decks.

Steel hoods too!

At work we had guys driving big diesel, extended cab, duallys! Never hauled or towed more than a load of air. We called it little pecker syndrome.

I drove my wifes hand me down minivan, 200,000 miles, never let me down and a pocket full of Benjamins! 

I've been driving minivans for 20 years. I have a 4'X8' space inside my Grand Caravan - space that's secure and dry. The limiting factor for transporting tractors is the height at the hatch opening, which is 39". Sometimes I need to let air out of the tires or tilt a tractor so the steering wheel clears.

• Like 3

Inspectorjoe
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Our Moderators are quite good about keeping us in line and conversations civil. I don't use Facebook at all because it is so full of negativism. I have found that the majority of the posts on this site are informative and friendly, the others we tend to ignore.

I've found this forum to be an oasis of civility and political neutrality.

Edited by Inspectorjoe
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher

I've been driving minivans for 20 years. I have a 4'X8' space inside my Grand Caravan - space that's secure and dry. The limiting factor for transporting tractors is the height at the hatch opening, which is 39". Sometimes I need to let air out of the tires or tilt a tractor so the steering wheel clears:                                                  Joe I hear you on that. I have a 2021 Ford Transit Connett.  Still getting used to loading it on the van with folding three piece ramps. But being 6.0' tall does not help. Taking the air out of the tiers seems the way to go. Caring a small air tank with you also for attending shows. Enjoy what ever you own.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Like 5

Inspectorjoe
4 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Joe I hear you on that. I have a 2021 Ford Transit Connect.  Still getting used to loading it on the van with folding three piece ramps. But being 6.0' tall does not help. Taking the air out of the tiers seems the way to go. Caring a small air tank with you also for attending shows. Enjoy what ever you own.

I have a pair of 10' wood ramps. They barely fit inside, but once the tractor is loaded, they have to go on the roof rack. The slope is moderate enough that I can usually load things myself, but if I have something particularly heavy, or has flat tires, I have an electric winch mounted to a board that I stick behind the pillars.

I'll tell ya, mini vans get no respect!

122606691_3467131416701199_1118570958908297895_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Snoopy11
11 hours ago, ZXT said:

Nearing 295k

Yep... you take care of them... they'll last...

Then... when the motor goes out... you can replace it with something stealthy... :banana-dance:

Don

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher
19 hours ago, Inspectorjoe said:

I have a pair of 10' wood ramps. They barely fit inside, but once the tractor is loaded, they have to go on the roof rack. The slope is moderate enough that I can usually load things myself, but if I have something particularly heavy, or has flat tires, I have an electric winch mounted to a board that I stick behind the pillars.

I'll tell ya, mini vans get no respect!

122606691_3467131416701199_1118570958908297895_o.jpg

I'll tell ya, mini vans get no respect!   Cannot agree more on that. Back in the day I had it all, nice, enclosed trailer that I fit three tractors inside.  A big F duty Ford that got maybe on a good day 10 mpg! Now liking 25 city 27 on the highway. Maybe look into some tri fold ramps much safer I think I like mine.

• Like 1