pfrederi

Seat Time comfort

pfrederi

Several hours in the saddle today 3.5  on the Electro 16 a bit over 2 on the C-175.. I know every one here thinks K341s are the best thing since sliced bread and Skippy... They are powerful but they are noisy and coarse.  This one was rebuilt last year and I left off the balance gears.  She has a buzzy vibration and the engine is loud even with a new quality muffler.  Got on the C-175-8 out and a world of difference minimal vibration and much quieter.  (I replaced her shaker mount with a flat plate used on 417 and 418. still smooth).  Less tiring to use her on a hot day...even with having to shift gears

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc

I love big block Kohlers but yes, the 14 and 16hp are called "thumpers" for a legitimate reason. Only smooth big block I have is my 310-8. It has the shorter stroke on the crank and a very quiet valvetrain. 

V twins are not as smooth as opposed twins, but still much smoother than a thumper. I can see why so many twins were sold in the later years, along with higher backs and arm rests on big fat seats and soft grip steering wheels. 

• Like 5

JoeM

I had a similar experience today.

Testing the C81 with a 10HP Kohler implant and after mowing for about a half hour the nostalgia trip was over. Runs and cuts great, but is hot, noisy and vibrates more than I like. Plus it only had  a 36" deck and was taking way to long. 

I am really getting soft I just love power steering and the hydro drive on the newer machines. 

• Like 4

Blasterdad

I have 3 C-81 8 speeds w/shaker plates, (was the first WH I grew up on). I run 36" RD decks on them cutting in close to the house & around trees first.

Then I finish with either the no name 12 auto w/42" SD deck or the C-120 auto w/48" SD deck, (or both Lol).

The 12's are a whole different animal but still pretty smooth...

The 16's are dedicated to snowblowing & plowing duty & yes they do thump!

I love them all & vibration aside, the C-81's are & always wiil be my favorite...:)

• Like 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, kpinnc said:

higher backs and arm rests on big fat seats and soft grip steering wheels.

I always have hearing protection on if I'm going to be on any of my horses more than a few minutes so noise isn't a big deal. At my age seating comfort is the most important thing, anybody know how I could adapt a recliner to a :wh:?             :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

kpinnc
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

At my age seating comfort is the most important thing, anybody know how I could adapt a recliner to a :wh:

We used to make fun of old tractors that had a boat seat mounted.

Nowadays, they don't seem so funny... :blink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

squonk

Best seat  ever run across. Had one for close to 20 yrs. now. Just got it's first tear. :(

355+Universal+Fold-Down+Black+Seat+w+Armrests+Black+Talon+355000BK_S.jpg

• Like 4

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Best seat  ever run across. Had one for close to 20 yrs. now. Just got it's first tear. :(

355+Universal+Fold-Down+Black+Seat+w+Armrests+Black+Talon+355000BK_S.jpg

Northern Tools ?

squonk

Northern Tools and Surplus Center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

May have been you, but I have seen that seat on here, and people/ person spoke highly of it .

• Like 1