NA73

520h: deck creeps down after sitting

NA73

been a while since I've posted anything. but got a minor annoyance with a '93 520h I bought last year.

it has a 42" RD mower deck on it and if I park the machine with the deck raised up, after a few days the deck creeps down to the ground. over the winter I had a ber-vac 2-stage snowblower on and it never creeped down. The forces are opposite on the lift arm/rock shaft - the deck pulls down and the snowblower pushes up. 

with that being said: is this normal for the eaton hydros or is there maybe some internal leak in the valve or lift cylinder? 

pfrederi

Internal leakage in a 29 year old hydro system is certainly not unusual.   to not have leakage after 29 years would be very lucky.  Has nothing to do with eh Eaton pump it is either the lift cylinder or the control valve.

• Like 3

NA73

just seems weird to me that the valve or cylinder would only leak by in one direction.

edit: after a bit more thought, seems more likely it's the valve.

Edited by NA73

pfrederi

There are two seals in a cylinder and two in a control valve seems to me failure of one would lead to a leak..in one direction

• Like 1

Handy Don
19 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

There are two seals in a cylinder and two in a control valve seems to me failure of one would lead to a leak..in one direction

More sophisticated control valves would have internal check valves, though these have seals and seats too!

Nevertheless, normal for storing a hydraulic system is to relieve all pressure throughout. If you need to suspend the snowblower, put blocks under it and then when the engine is off, lower it onto the blocks. Same for a deck.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

cleat

Yes, even my larger loader tractor will slowly drop the loader or 3 point hitch implements over time.

I normally lower everything when I am done with it either onto the ground or onto wood blocks.

• Like 2

Dan.gerous
8 hours ago, cleat said:

Yes, even my larger loader tractor will slowly drop the loader or 3 point hitch implements over time.

I normally lower everything when I am done with it either onto the ground or onto wood blocks.

We are the same, always lower everything. It seems less of a hazard on the ground than a bucket or whatever up in the air.