ArturHawk

42" RD Deck on Raider 10 Lift Rod Problem

ArturHawk

You guys are gonna love this...I drilled holes first and am asking questions later. :text-imsorry:

As the title states, I am using a 42" RD newer style deck on my 1970 Raider 10. I like better maneuverability and front mule drive over the old 42" SD Deck with the wonky side belt system.

My problem is with the lift rod. It appears later style tractors had a "T" bar to help lift the mower decks, so the lifting slot is way forward on the deck. When I go to raise the deck for transport, the lift rod runs into the frame. Pics below show almost no clearance in lowered position.

20220509_183242.jpg.495d0e0bbb147c4d0a3b1d94567df752.jpg

20220509_183251.jpg.19ea1d8f52eae8ed44926e6849cf26c8.jpg

The best solution my three brain cells could agree on was to simply add another lifting hole somewhere further back to keep the rod straight.

20220513_202109.jpg.ecdb12e3b114bbafb26320933d4271d2.jpg

20220513_202119.jpg.3f43c2110a49d106efe5b5dff3df806b.jpg

This works great and I finally have a transport option for the deck when not mowing the yard. Obligatory full tractor pic below.

20220513_202232.jpg.5794474636a432ed4a3752771c23829e.jpg

The question (and reason for this post) is to ask "what could I have done better?"

I can't be the first person to have run into this problem, but I didn't see any posts on this topic. What do you guys know that I don't?

squonk

I put a newer style deck on my 1267. I ditched the rod and used a chain. Drilled 1 hole in the deck hanger. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Handy Don

Some data to help clarify...

On the new machines, the lift arm on the central rock shaft actually lifts a second arm pivoted back near the transmission. That second arm, which snuggles between the main frame rails, extends forward past the rock shaft and has a horizontal pin that fits directly into the deck's lift point. The engineers intended that the lift point balance the deck so it lifts more or less straight up and that the second arm amplify the lift action picking up the deck as well as extending its reach forward.

You are trying to directly connect the rock shaft arm and the deck lift point. It'll be a compromise, as you've discovered. You can't easily get the deck to lift evenly (the nose of your deck is pointed down and could catch on the ground) and you can't get the same number of inches of lift using just the rock shaft arm.

That said, I fully get the wanting the forward mule with bell/clutch PTO style connection--I'm wanting to put a mower on an 854 but reluctant at the choices that were made for it!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Why not add the newer style T-bar ?   I believe the holes exist in the transmission mounting frame.

• Like 2

squonk
32 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Why not add the newer style T-bar ?   I believe the holes exist in the transmission mounting frame.

They aren't there on my 1267 Ed. Those lower holes aren't the right ones.

850187471_skonkframe.JPG.da27ec6f825f0d06da3cdc2f38876b3b.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell
8 minutes ago, squonk said:

Those lower holes aren't the right ones.

What were those holes used for?  A tiller pulley mount?

squonk
33 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Don't know for sure but they make a handy place to hook a ratchet strap! :helmet:

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yes

• Thanks 1