johnnymag3

M18 Kohler clack sound....

johnnymag3
8 hours ago, Darb1964 said:

If I recall correctly you have a spare, I remembered admiring it when I was at your place.

Yes....you are so correct and have a great memory !!! I swapped that M18 out with this one....it runs awesome, I also have a 418-8 with electric lift I am considering selling...

• Like 1

johnnymag3

UPDATE on clacking noise.....I took the nuts off of the cylinder jug which had the piston angling in the bore and slid it carefully off.....Guess what I found....Piston pin clip missing, pin not even in the one side of the piston..   No rod issues ..., but going to need a piston, Std. bore....also rings and cylinder jug...Std. bore.

Where might I find any of this stuff???   Anyone here with good used M18 parts???   isave tractors has some stuff, but no Std. bore pistons or jugs

:) John

• Excellent 2

Bill D

You might want to fish around in the engine sump with a magnet and see if you can find the pieces of the missing clip.  If you repair it and the clip pieces get lodged in something when you run it,  BOOM!

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Bill D said:

see if you can find the pieces of the missing clip

How would they have gotten out from between the piston and the cylinder wall?  If the clip broke, the pieces would be trapped in there, wouldn't they?

:confusion-confused:

Edited by Jeff-C175

johnnymag3

It appears they were shredded and possibly spit out the exhaust valve??? or shredded and into oil.....I have pics to post....there is no sign of clip, albeit the thinnist little thing to begin with..

The pison is beat up in that cavity, and also the cylinder wall  has a nice score,,,,

UNKNOWN.....

• Like 1

oliver2-44

@johnnymag3 Why dot you need a new cylinder jug? Is it scarred or worn out if round. Could it be bored oversized?

johnnymag3
50 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

@johnnymag3 Why dot you need a new cylinder jug? Is it scarred or worn out if round. Could it be bored oversized?

Too cost prohibitive to redo a jug.not worth the machine work or money to do one cylinder....A used jug, and new piston standard bore is my plan as of now....The pin was riding along the cylinder wall...along with small pieces of the silly clip that holds it in place...Scored beyond .030 in my experience...Got any parts???  :)

Edited by johnnymag3

johnnymag3

Pictures.....cuz we love them........

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1924.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

Jeff-C175
43 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Pictures.....cuz we love them........

:text-yeahthat:

Boy, that's discouraging!  I think you can see marks where the pieces of the clip snuck past the piston.

johnnymag3
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

:text-yeahthat:

Boy, that's discouraging!  I think you can see marks where the pieces of the clip snuck past the piston.

Indeed.........still ran well.....Glad I popped it apart whem I did....It will run again  ?

:) 

RED-Z06
32 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Indeed.........still ran well.....Glad I popped it apart whem I did....It will run again  ?

:) 

Itll run but compression will always get past the rings in those gouges.  Is it worth punching out..?  No...

pfrederi

I overhauled M-18 new pistons rings rods valves valve guides plus machine shop work bored .010 over and .010 under on the rod cranks.  Way too much money...you have a nice doorstop.

RED-Z06
17 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I overhauled M-18 new pistons rings rods valves valve guides plus machine shop work bored .010 over and .010 under on the rod cranks.  Way too much money...you have a nice doorstop.

Yep, and getting interal parts for just about anything is getting tough.  Did rings on a 20hp command last year and kohler had 0 rings, aftermarket had a limited supply...vanguard parts are scarce, kohler has all but stopped supporting the k/m engines

johnnymag3
40 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Itll run but compression will always get past the rings in those gouges.  Is it worth punching out..?  No...

I will be replacing the cylinder,  .....piston,  ....rings.  Standard Piston and Cylinder..and rings......  Never would use that cylinder. A doorstop it wont be, too young of an engine.   :)

johnnymag3

I grew up in a Machine Shop at a very young age....Dad was a Machinist, and I have access to alot of important tools to make this a breeze...

Doing a complete motor rebuild is a total NO_GO.......    Way too much labor involved, and parts are rediculous.   Replace and repair whats broken is the plan..  :thumbs:

953 nut
On 6/13/2022 at 1:20 PM, johnnymag3 said:

UPDATE on clacking noise.....I took the nuts off of the cylinder jug which had the piston angling in the bore and slid it carefully off.....Guess what I found....Piston pin clip missing, pin not even in the one side of the piston..   No rod issues ..., but going to need a piston, Std. bore....also rings and cylinder jug...Std. bore.

Where might I find any of this stuff???   Anyone here with good used M18 parts???   isave tractors has some stuff, but no Std. bore pistons or jugs

:) John

Give Lincoln at A-Z a call, he may have one.           https://a-ztractor.com/