pacer

Didya ever forget and leave the key on? Well DONT!!!

pacer

Was cking over my B43 Onan and also messin with my Mitsubishi FEL and in all this excitement ---- I left the key on with the Onan ... for 24 hrs! Now I've done this before and it will of course kill the coil -- and DRAIN the batt, but WHOA, I aint never seen a coil this .... bad! Luckily the Onan coils are plentiful and cheap on the bay, and I've got one on the way.

So, if you need a reminder to NOT leave the key on, just recall this pic......

589836636_Onancoil.jpg.12b701704042bc50531f39214029716a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Jeff-C175

I've done it too.  Luckily, I was working on the machine and felt the heat and shut it off after about ten minutes.

SPINJIM

I did it too, on a K engine.  It completely drained the battery, and the coil overheated, but didn't damage it as much as your Onan coil.  The coil on the Kohler is more exposed, so probably was able to dissipate the heat better than on the Onan.   The battery was weaker after that because of the extreme discharge.   Happy you didn't have a fire.

lynnmor
15 hours ago, pacer said:

589836636_Onancoil.jpg.12b701704042bc50531f39214029716a.jpg

I never saw one that had any more than very minor outward signs of heat.  Any chance that is was a cheap Chinese coil?

Bill D

I have a key ring on my key.  When I shut off the tractor I take the key out and hang it on the PTO lever.

Rob R

Installed a small LED "key on" light to the accessory switch circuit problem solved. 

pacer
8 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Any chance that is was a cheap Chinese coil?

Very likely.... course it has been on there for some 4+ years. At the time I got it there were very little choices with the mfgs cost running upwards of $200, so the some 25-30$ seemed a pretty good deal to me --- so much so that the one I have on order is 15$ with free ship, I will take the gamble!

lynnmor
17 minutes ago, pacer said:

Very likely.... course it has been on there for some 4+ years. At the time I got it there were very little choices with the mfgs cost running upwards of $200, so the some 25-30$ seemed a pretty good deal to me --- so much so that the one I have on order is 15$ with free ship, I will take the gamble!

I understand and have one cheap one myself.  Just wondering if the cheapies have an issue.