sscotsman

Clutch pedal broken on RER.

sscotsman

Hi everyone,

I have a Toro Rear Engine Rider, same model that was branded Toro/Wheel Horse in the mid 80's, although mine is a 1987 model, after the WH name was dropped.

Toro 832 RER, model 56138.

I was mowing with it tonight,  all was normal, I pressed in the clutch pedal to stop, switched into reverse, let go of the clutch pedal, started going backwards normally...ran over a piece of wood garden bed edging I didn't see in the tall grass, that had come loose from a garden bed.. :( after hitting the piece of wood, I pressed in the clutch again to stop, but didn't stop! Kept going backwards, and pressing the clutch pedal had no effect! Had to stop by turning off the engine with the key. 

Poking around underneath, with all 4 wheels on the ground and poor undercarriage access, it appears the metal rod extending from the clutch pedal back to the transmission is still in place, but something is twisted, bent, broken or out of place in the linkage that the rod attaches to..at the far back end of the machine, under the engine. 

I can start up the engine again, if I switch into a gear it will take off and run, but the clutch pedal does nothing.. I can only stop forward motion again by turning off the key.  So I guess I have to remove the mower deck and try to tip it up.. anyone have any suggestions about what to look for? I'm fairly confidant I can fix it, I've worked on my 1964 Wheel Horse 854 a bit, but I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to tractor mechanicing... and advice is welcome! I'll keep this thread updated with a (hopefully) eventual fix..

thanks!

Scot

IMG_20170930_123252514_HDR.jpg

Edited by sscotsman

ri702bill

Not familiar with the 8-32, but you may wish to download the parts manual for it 

I am very familiar with the 854 - nice looking original survivor. You will want the manual for it too.

Best of luck with both.

Bill

• Like 1

sscotsman

Thanks guys! I'll compare that parts diagram with the real thing and see how things look.

Scot

dmoore

Love the 854!