"Manic-Mechanic"

3pt finish mowers

"Manic-Mechanic"

I currently have a nice 48" SD for my 18 Auto. Is there any justification in getting the 3pt finish mower, (any size?) Other than another rare implement and backing into odd spots?

finish mower.jpg

• Like 1

peter lena

@manic mechanic , finish mowers are very often , heavily abused and never serviced , very prone to violent rock hits , bent rusted , never lubricated or under cleaned .  look like a money pit , pete

• Like 1

Handy Don
19 hours ago, "Manic-Mechanic" said:

I currently have a nice 48" SD for my 18 Auto. Is there any justification in getting the 3pt finish mower, (any size?) Other than another rare implement and backing into odd spots?

finish mower.jpg

That one looks like it was rode really hard and put away muddy. I'll bet the underside looks even worse.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Handy Don  guy up behind me , has some acreage , over 100 ,  typically knows it all , very sarcastic . was asking one of his workers how come he didn't  get a flail  mower  instead of the finish type , with all the stones and debris , he just laughed and said , you can, t  tell him anything . regularly mower deck slamming screeching to a violent stop . could not happen to a nicer guy . pete  

• Haha 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
11 hours ago, Handy Don said:

That one looks like it was rode really hard and put away muddy. I'll bet the underside looks even worse.

That is not the one I am looking at, just for reference on the topic. The one I am considering is in really good shape, maintained and solid. The end shields will need replaced, which I can easily replicate.

"Manic-Mechanic"
15 hours ago, peter lena said:

@manic mechanic , finish mowers are very often , heavily abused and never serviced , very prone to violent rock hits , bent rusted , never lubricated or under cleaned .  look like a money pit , pete

Yes, the one in the picture looks scary! Again, I used the picture for reference on the topic. I went this morning and the mower for all appearance's looked good spindles were free. At first the seller said it would need a belt, then pulled the cover(at least it had a cover) and the belt was on and pliable. Thought this is odd, he didn't know it had a belt? Then its mounted on a D which hasn't run for a Season, so couldn't run it, not liking that, but it's a work around. For what I saw it looked fairly complete, but going by memory isn't smart. I looked into the manual for both the Wheel Horse 5-0900 and Woods 59 59L, apparently the left and right shields were getting rotted and the skids were not even there. This isn't honest, not liking that. (Coleman Equipment list the parts in stock and for another 300.00 could have them in 3 days) So, it sits at 500, another 300? Little high for a "rare" implement. Also, seems heavy, too heavy for the D hydro. I will get back to this seller and maybe hold off on delivery, seems off somehow...

Thanks for the info

Edited by "Manic-Mechanic"

pfrederi

I have one for my D200.  haven't used it for a long time as I have bigger tractor with finish mower.  Worked OK and D had no problem picking it up...

• Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

I have one for my D200.  haven't used it for a long time as I have bigger tractor with finish mower.  Worked OK and D had no problem picking it up...

I just come in from having it mounted and running, seems fine. The belt can't be right as it is only 1/2" I see a Woods belt 5/8 x 133.75 (B132) Sound about right? Any tricks I need to know in putting it on then? Lol The 1/2 did slip off on first start-up as it was "shocked" to life!

Appreciated

pfrederi

I am away from home.  I have the Belt number there.  be a couple days...

• Thanks 1