WheelHorse520H

Looking for something fun to do...

Pullstart

Most of it was already drilled, or laser cut.  I’ve got some step bits, hole saws, etc and a pretty steady hand, along with a few drill presses as well.  

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
4 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Most of it was already drilled, or laser cut

Already drilled? Did you get a kit or something?

Edited by WheelHorse520H

WheelHorse520H
4 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

a pretty steady hand

So just be careful and pay attention? I can do that. Sorry I couldn't at a quote to another post.

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Already drilled? Did you get a kit or something?

It was partially done, then I picked it up and partially-er done-d it.

WheelHorse520H
2 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

It was partially done, then I picked it up and partially-er done-d it.

Aaahhh partially done makes sense.

953 nut

Most of your holes to be cut will probably be the same size. Figure out what that size will be and buy a good carbide tipped hole saw of that size. The regular hole saws are made fore sheet metal and won't hold up for your project. keep the saw cool by using a liberal amount of cutting oil.

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Like 2

WheelHorse520H

Okay, good to know I can save time by doing it myself. Thanks for the tip on the carbide tip saws. Pun not intended.

• Haha 1

WheelHorse520H

I found a list of necessary steel for a PF Engineering loader, but wanted to see if it was missing anything. I got this list from another forum that Google showed me. 

Angle Iron

2"x2"x1/8"x4'

3"x3"x3/16"x10'

Square Tubing

1"x1/8"x15'

2"x1/8"x15'

3"x1/8"x4'

Rectangular Tubing

4"x2"x1/4"x4'

Flat

2"x1/4"x12'

3"x1/4"x12'

4"x1/4"x10'

4"x3/8"x12'

Plates

42"x42"x1/8"

18"x36"x1/8"

12"x30"x1/4"

Round Bar

1/2"x2'

Bushing Stock

1"ODx1/2"IDx4'

If there is anything that seems incorrect or that's missing please let me know so I can get a more accurate price on steel.

Thanks.

Edited by WheelHorse520H
  • Like 1

Dan.gerous
7 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

I found a list of necessary steel for a PF Engineering loader, but wanted to see if it was missing anything. I got this list from another forum that Google showed me. 

Angle Iron

2"x2"x1/8"x4'

3"x3"x3/16"x10'

Square Tubing

1"x1/8"x15'

2"x1/8"x15'

3"x1/8"x4'

Rectangular Tubing

4"x2"x1/4"x4'

Flat

2"x1/4"x12'

3"x1/4"x12'

4"x1/4"x10'

4"x3/8"x12'

Plates

42"x42"x1/8"

18"x36"x1/8"

12"x30"x1/4"

Round Bar

1/2"x2'

Bushing Stock

1"ODx1/2"IDx4'

If there is anything that seems incorrect or that's missing please let me know so I can get a more accurate price on steel.

Thanks.

Be interesting to see the costs of that.

WheelHorse520H
1 hour ago, Dan.gerous said:

Be interesting to see the costs of that.

$$$:lol:. I had to email a local steel company to get some prices because the only 2" plates I could find were 2x2-1/4" thick when I only need 1/4". We'll see what they respond with. I may need to get some of that stuff from somewhere like Home Depot, they had a few other things I couldn't find on their very simple website.

• Like 1

wallfish

My advise is to start by buying the plans. It's money well spent compared to the overall cost and you will have everything right in front of you instead bits and pieces from the internet.

You don't need to buy everything all at once. Just do it in sections as time and money allows which is an advantage to building your own.

Maybe you can use these free plans but information is very limited compared to the PF plans

WheelHorse520H

Thanks @wallfish, this was just to get a rough idea while my parents decide if it's a good idea to build a loader. Mostly because they don't think it's necessary but I do and they don't think I should spend $60 on the plans if I never end up using them. I 100% agree with you, I'll ask if they have decided, and give them a little nudge. I asked them when I started this thread and mentioned it but never asked, "hey have you had a chance to think about this?".

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H

I just looked at those plans, and yeah, they are not nearly as detailed as the small glimpses of the PF plans I have seen.

Handy Don
4 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

spend $60 on the plans if I never end up using them

If you decide not to use them, I'd suggest offering them via a For Sale Classified here to recoup at least some of your expense.

But I'm hoping you'll use them!

WheelHorse520H
3 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

If you decide not to use them, I'd suggest offering them via a For Sale Classified here to recoup at least some of your expense.

That's smart! I'll mention that and see what they say...

4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Me too, but planning is everything. Thanks for the idea.

953 nut
On 5/13/2022 at 6:40 AM, WheelHorse520H said:

my parents decide if it's a good idea to build a loader. Mostly because they don't think it's necessary but I do

Do you NEED a loader, probably not.  Will you gain a whole lot of knowledge and add to your inventory of skills, absolutely. Tell your parents you are furthering your education!      :techie-studyinggray:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
Just now, 953 nut said:

Do you NEED a loader, probably not.  Will you gain a whole lot of knowledge and add to your inventory of skills, absolutely. Tell your parents you are furthering your education!      :techie-studyinggray:

BBBBBBBBWWWWWWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

THAT is exactly how to look at this!

Don

• Haha 2

WheelHorse520H
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I have gotten by without it but it would be very helpful and I already said something along the lines of, "I can add experience and education from this project to a resume and get a better job" and I only got a "we'll think/talk about it"!

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
53 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

I can add experience and education from this project to a resume and get a better job

If I did that... my resume might well be 25 pages long... :laughing-rolling:

Don

WheelHorse520H
On 5/13/2022 at 11:41 AM, Handy Don said:

Thank you so much for suggesting this! I ordered the plans because my parents were okay if I decide to not go through with this I could still get some money back. They should be here this week. Paul actually told me where he gets his steel from because he and I are both in Massachusetts.

Edited by WheelHorse520H
  • Excellent 2

wallfish
On 5/14/2022 at 3:36 PM, WheelHorse520H said:

I have gotten by without it but it would be very helpful and I already said something along the lines of, "I can add experience and education from this project to a resume and get a better job" and I only got a "we'll think/talk about it"!

Well, your parents are supposed to be parents and not just your friend so...

When you go through the plans don't just assume there are missing measurements because every little detail isn't written for every little thing. The information is there but some spots you just need to do the math with the given information to get all of the measurements.

I remember reading reviews on the hoe plans way back when and was surprised how many people stated the plans were missing measurement information. Not so, all the information is there. Just use the most valuable tool you have, your head.

• Excellent 5

sjoemie himself
15 hours ago, wallfish said:

missing measurements

The instructions I got at engineering school on setting up a technical drawing is that you include only the measurements that are absolutely neccessary. No more no less. That indeed means sometimes you have to use ya brain to figure out some what seems to missing measurements. 

@WheelHorse520H good luck. If you're up to a challenge you'll like this build 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WheelHorse520H
26 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

. If you're up to a challenge you'll like this build 

I love a good challenge. Thanks for the heads up from both of you on the plans. I'm glad you mentioned it.

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
6 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

The instructions I got at engineering school on setting up a technical drawing is that you include only the measurements that are absolutely neccessary. No more no less. That indeed means sometimes you have to use ya brain to figure out some what seems to missing measurements. 

Modern drafting software (I use Fusion 360) actually prevents you from over-dimensioning an object. Used to be the head draftsman or the instructor would check your work and point out your mistakes.

BTW, the rationale was that when making a revision the draftsperson might change one of the dimensions without realizing there was another (now incorrect) governing the same item. Ensuing confusion by someone using that incorrect dimension could be expensive or even fatal, depending on the situation.

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H

Okay, one more question. If I do decide to build this should I go through all the wiring that was crappilly bypassed/redone by a previous owner so I don't have to do it with a loader fame in the way, or is this one of those "don't fix it if it ain't broke" kinda things?

• Like 1