14yrthathasapasion

1982 c175 no spark

14yrthathasapasion

Hi Im having trouble getting my 1982 c175 started it’s been sitting for 5 years and I put a new starter and starter coil in it and I get no spark my grandpa bypassed a couple of things and I’m wondering what I should check or replace to get power to the coil.

• Like 1

roadapples

:WRS:

953 nut

Always glad to hear of a treasured Wheel Horse being passed down within a family.           :woohoo:

With your ignition key in the ON position do you have 12 volts DC at the coil "+" terminal?

Have you cleaned the ignition points contacts?  A piece of brown paper bag or a dollar bill slid back and forth between the closed contacts can do wonders.

• Excellent 2

14yrthathasapasion

No I haven’t I will try that thank you so much my family has been telling me it’s junk but since he passes I’ve been trying to get it running again 

• Thanks 1

midpack

Do you have a voltmeter? if not, sometimes you can do a lot of electrical testing with a light probe

• Like 1

pacer

Oddly enough, that coil on that engine seems to fail more than any other --- ck it out carefully.....

Jeff-C175
6 hours ago, 14yrthathasapasion said:

family has been telling me it’s junk

That's actually sorta sad.  

Don't give up on that machine!  That model was top of the line in it's day.

You'll get plenty of help and encouragement here!

edgro

They now have reasonably priced replacement coils available on _bay. The last one i bought seem to be working ok

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
18 minutes ago, edgro said:

They now have reasonably priced replacement coils available on _bay. The last one i bought seem to be working ok

You did not seriously suggest that anyone buy parts on Ebay, did you? Surely you jest!

No seriously, ordinarily, I get a fire storm when I suggest buying coils or carb parts on fleabay. BUT... I tell you what... I know a lot of people who have had success with reasonably priced parts on ebay.

Don

Bill D
22 hours ago, 14yrthathasapasion said:

No I haven’t I will try that thank you so much my family has been telling me it’s junk but since he passes I’ve been trying to get it running again 

This tractor is not junk no matter what your family says.  Run a little emery cloth thru the points followed by some contact cleaner and see if you get spark.  If you have 12 volts at the positive terminal on the coil and clean points, you should have spark.  Any pictures?

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Bill D said:

Run a little emery cloth thru the points followed by some contact cleaner

Fine emory paper, of course. Coarse will take off a lot of metal and leave scratches on the point surfaces giving you trouble later.

pacer
20 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

BUT... I tell you what... I know a lot of people who have had success with reasonably priced parts on ebay.

@Snoopy11 I'm one of those..... I probably buy 90% of my parts from the bay and the rest from Amazon or other similar on line dealers.

• Like 1

corvette bob

new here, on my c81 that I bought brand new many years ago has never been a problem. Now it won't start, Turns over ok, rebuilt carb, changed fuel, new points gap .020, seems like it is not Not getting any Spark. Maybe needs a new coil ?

Thanks in advance for any input

14yrthathasapasion

Hey everyone thank you so much I finally got the tractor running but after 2 weeks my carb took a puke so I bought a new carb and i have hooked everything up then I turned on the fuel and start it it’s starts then after like 2 seconds of running it leaks and I had the company send me a new one but it continues to leak any suggestions?

953 nut

If you bought one of the Chinese carburetors on :techie-ebay: it is unlikely that it will ever be right, they are junk!  Best bet is to buy a rebuild kit for the original carb and bring it back to life.

You should start your own thread on this subject so it will get more attention, hijacking an old thread gets lost in the shuffle. 

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/41-engines/?do=add

Jeff-C175
9 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

start your own thread

But... Ummm... It IS his thread, or did you mean to direct that at corvette bob?

• Like 2

14yrthathasapasion

well so i took apart the old carb cleaned it and rebuilt it but when i put it back on it ran away on me probably my fault.

ineedanother
7 minutes ago, 14yrthathasapasion said:

well so i took apart the old carb cleaned it and rebuilt it but when i put it back on it ran away on me probably my fault.

No worries, patience young lad...

Carbs can be finicky and we tend to over-tighten things which can be problematic. Where is it leaking? 

• Like 1

14yrthathasapasion

up by the intake manifold 

14yrthathasapasion

it is only when it starts up and runs for more than 3 seconds it starts to leak. the company i bought it from has sent me 2 carbs because of this issue.

i first thought it was the float bowl witch i still have a feeling it is.

ineedanother
36 minutes ago, 14yrthathasapasion said:

it is only when it starts up and runs for more than 3 seconds it starts to leak. the company i bought it from has sent me 2 carbs because of this issue.

i first thought it was the float bowl witch i still have a feeling it is.

It would be really helpful if you could upload photos or better yet, a video of it. Can you video on YouTube and post a link here?

14yrthathasapasion

yes it wont be for like 2 days till i can its at my grandmas so i will as soon as possible

• Like 1