Fishroe

314 hydro problem

Horse Newbie

@Fishroe

Check at Wheel Horse Parts and More… Lowell sells the o rings for the lift valve. I think the correct name for it is a “spool valve”. You can find an exploded view of the parts in our files if you go there and look for the manuals for your year and model tractor.

There is an acorn nut on the spool valve somewhere… don’t remove that nut. It is some kind of adjustment nut, and some instructions some where on the hydraulic system says “DO NOT ADJUST”, or something like that.

When I refreshed my ‘94 520 H, I took that acorn nut off but did not turn the screw underneath it. If I recall correctly it was an Allen head screw.

See if you can find my thread on refreshing the 520H… there is probably some useful info on that thread as I rebuilt my spool valve and my lift cylinder.

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie
On 5/9/2022 at 3:10 PM, Fishroe said:

Got the pin out.

After taking the panel with the gauges off hopefully I found the problem 

The compression spring thingy attached to the lift lever was rusted pretty bad and sticking. The plunger in the, I guess that’s called the control valve, wasn’t going in and out like it should 

The other one on the motion lever was sticking some too 1st pic. I hope the control valve is not bad. I would guess that’s not made any longer

grease fitting on the bottom of the steering shaft, I wouldn’t think they put that in like that from the factory 

7A4EA71E-A7F1-4CD9-9867-8D2E982D8DAE.jpeg

68A25C26-B0D5-4CBF-8A89-1BA3380031A4.jpeg

E9E6791A-E8A1-4C91-980F-5A675F7629AE.jpeg

See that acorn nut on the left side of the first pic ?… if you take it off, DO NOT ADJUST the Allen screw behind it unless you are a hydraulics expert, or an expert on the Eaton 1100.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

@Fishroe… I may have mislead you… I may not have done a thread on “refreshing the ‘94 520H… maybe you can search my content and find where I rebuilt my spool valve and lift cylinder…

Sorry…

• Like 1

Fishroe

10-4 on the acorn nut

when my fuel valve gets here I will know whether it works or not   Thanks

• Like 1

Handy Don
17 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

There is an acorn nut on the spool valve somewhere… don’t remove that nut. It is some kind of adjustment nut, and some instructions some where on the hydraulic system says “DO NOT ADJUST”, or something like that.

That screw under the nut adjusts the control valve's pressure relief mechanism.

Messing with it could either make your lift useless or break your hydro's charge pump.

Unless you have the proper equipment and a solid understanding of hydraulic systems, follow the manual's advice and DO NOT ADJUST.

• Like 1

Fishroe

Good news and bad news

put the new fuel valve in and fired her up

lift lever hydraulics are working fine for now

Cut engine off and put everything back together so I could drive it around and recheck oil level in trans. Backed out the garage and it started spitting and sputtering. Pulled it back in garage before it cut off. It’s puking gas out of the front of the carburetor. 😠😠😩😩. No problem rebuilding it. The problem will be finding parts

its a walbro whg 79-2274. Can someone point me in the right direction for the parts

needle, seat, gaskets, possibly a float. Hadn’t taken it off yet. Start fresh in the morning. If parts aren’t available I’ll have to go the Chinese route. Maybe I’ll get lucky and just find trash in the bowl keeping the needle from seating 

Edited by Fishroe
  • Sad 1

Horse Newbie

I put a China carb on my 1994 520H, P220 Onan, and it’s running good…

maybe I got lucky.

Held on to the original carb though…

• Like 1

Fishroe

Got it running 

cleaned carb, new needle, fuel line, filter, fuel valve, cleaned tank and another plastic fuel pump

Edited by Fishroe
  • Like 1

Charlie Drannbauer

I've got a 314 Hydro that goes forward seemingly fine, but reverse is very sluggish. The guy I bought it from indicated that there is a "slide valve" that probably has worn or defective "O" rings allowing 
leakage" when shifting into reverse. Is there bar kit that contains the necessary parts to repair this issue? Also whatever instructions that may be available.  Thanks, Charlie

953 nut
11 hours ago, Charlie Drannbauer said:

I've got a 314 Hydro that goes forward seemingly fine, but reverse is very sluggish. The guy I bought it from indicated that there is a "slide valve" that probably has worn or defective "O" rings allowing 
leakage" when shifting into reverse. Is there bar kit that contains the necessary parts to repair this issue? Also whatever instructions that may be available.  Thanks, Charlie

:WRS:

If you start a new thread under the transmission section you will a lot more answers that tagging on to an old thread. Click on this link to get started, https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/49-transmissions-and-transaxles/

Include the model numbe of your tractor found under the left side under the seat.

Edited by 953 nut

cleat
On 5/12/2022 at 5:39 PM, Horse Newbie said:

I need a link to that hard-wired hour meter…

That is my tractor.

The bracket I just made from a scrap of stainless steel that I had lying around and the hour meter itself is a small panel mount unit that I believe I bought off of ebay.

The OEM hour meter was removed so I could install a fuel gauge on the tractor from a 520 (it was not working properly anyways).

Here it is being fitted prior to the machine being rebuilt.

377738378_Newhourmeteroldharness.JPG.d124ae0bc3dda19de8c4956b195bd6d1.JPG

546450855_Wireharnesstoengine.JPG.d12378b2fa19f24729f869aa760043b8.JPG

This is the fuel gauge and the tank with the sending unit.

DSCN4169.JPG.e8d624a76d75b7e2f8a0313f958f4f41.JPG

504867376_Fuelsenderwiredup.JPG.700f4bc3b82b23218e2db9e8930ec007.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cleat

Duplicate post

Edited by cleat