BPEisenhower

Ariens GT18

BPEisenhower

Found another toy but, one major problem! No steering unless you turn the wheel 5 or more revolutions then power steering finally works. Never had this problem with anything else but it goes with anything that was previously owned. Has 60 inch deck and wheel weights. Hour meter is accurate. I was told the hydraulic/hydrostatic oil was only changed once since the manual says it is good for 500 hours, Right!  Any suggestions on what to troubleshoot for steering is appreciated. Too cool and wet to plant so it's toy time! Have a great day!!

IMG_20220425_153001.jpg

IMG_20220425_153011.jpg

IMG_20220425_152948.jpg

IMG_20220425_152938.jpg

IMG_20220425_152928.jpg

• Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, BPEisenhower said:

No steering unless you turn the wheel 5 or more revolutions then power steering finally works.

The steering on the GT18 is hydraulically controlled not mechanical. I have no knowledge of how hydraulic steering works, sorry. Here is an exploded view of the control.

https://jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/ariens/riding-lawn-mowers-tractors/gt-garden-tractors-grand-sierra-tractors/931033-004001-gt-18hp-kohler-hydro/steering-hydraulic 

BPEisenhower

Achto to the rescue! Thank you so much! Looks like a rotary style stand alone system fed by one port for feed and not pressure. Almost reminds me of a John Deere style or Steiger,..

• Like 1

Achto

I have a friend that built a monster truck and used hydraulic steering on it. When he had it inspected the DOT made him change the steering to a mechanical set up before they would pass it. The problem that you are having fully explains the DOT's reasoning behind this.

• Like 1