Donzo

Wheel horse 252 H engaging PTO switch causes engine to stall and shut off

Donzo

OK I fixed an issue with my tractor not running and having a gas feeding issue now I have a new issue. I tried mowing with my tractor and when I engage the PTO switch the engine stalls and then shuts off. I did some tracing of wires and cleaning the grounds ect and spraying all the electronic connections with deposits to help with any corrosion. I noticed when I unscrew the front panel that houses the ignition Switch, PTO, voltage read out, and headlight switch and hold the panel away from the chassis it runs fine and the PTO runs fine and the ignition switch wo t shut the engine off until I ground the front panel and then when the panel is grounded this is when the PTO switch shuts off the mower too in the same fashion as if I'm turning the ignition switch off. Does anyone know what this issue could be or is it just a shorted switch. Thanks in advance

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Sounds like the seat switch is not working. Operator must be in the seat for the ignition to work.

• Like 4

roadapples

:WRS:

Donzo

Well I "defeated" the switch to trouble shoot the issue and connected the wires together until I solve the problem and get a switch. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Achto

gwest_ca
43 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Well I "defeated" the switch to trouble shoot the issue and connected the wires together until I solve the problem and get a switch. 

That is the problem. Remove the jumper to diagnose

• Excellent 1

953 nut

Your seat switch should be OPEN when you are on the seat so you will want to buy a Normally closed (NC) switch to replace yours. 

This wiring guide should be helpful. Download it and save it for future reference.

Edited by 953 nut

953 nut
7 hours ago, Donzo said:

connected the wires together until I solve the problem and get a switch.

With the seat switch wires connected it is the same as no operator in the seat.

Screenshot (36).png

Donzo

That's awesome I"ve been looking for wiring diagrams all over the web.  I haven't tried it yet but I'm confident now that you all helped me and I have the documents I need for the tractor.

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Made some minor corrections to the wiring diagrams