Sign in to follow this  
Gerry w

Lawn Ranger woes

Gerry w

Okay, not my raider but my wife's LR from the "Kidd"in Conn. The Raider's mower deck is DOA right now so I thought I'd mow with Kathy's LR, it's never really been worked so ....well, after about 20mins. it starts to smoke and run hot and burn paint and surge...( ) so I shut it down and wait for an hour and then finish the lawn, I thought it was going to blow up on me!

I just checked the oil, it's a little low, the spark plug is all carboned up as well as the muffler. I cleaned that all up and started it and noticed at an high rpm smoke comes out of this little tube, as a matter of fact smoke always is coming out of it.

Is this normal? Does a LR always run this hot??

Since this post I removed the tin, found some pieces of a Bees nest, changed the spark plug, it was all black with carbon, and changed the oil, which looked like it had never been done. Cleaned the carb, muffler, EVERYTHING. I then tried to just mow the lawn with it and....after about 10-15 minutes it starts the same thing all over, only now it's blowing fresh oil out of the breather tube. smoking, etc.

We have only run this thing maybe 5 to 10 minutes at a time with out a load on it until the Raider's mower deck incident... and only 7 to 10 times at the most so I'm feeling kind of burned..no pun intended!

Any help will be great,thanks!

Any help would be great, some one told me it may be a valve, I don't know..

:thumbs2::thumbs: :ychain:

Michael Bullington

im not a mechanic, but if alot of oil is blowing out that tube, I would be looking to replace the rings...but ask others with more experience...im just guessing :thumbs2:

plowmaster

if im not mistaken that tube, is it behind the carb? is it a tecumsha? i thought that tube was a blowby tuble. might be rings.

Gerry w

Yeah, it's blow by in a BIG way.

When I got the tractor from the PO it didn't have an air cleaner on it, and I being new to the tractor world, and road weary, didn't see it. The PO told me he had run it for years with out one. I was just informed that not having an air filter could be one main reason for the ring wear, dust, dirt, etc. getting pulled in. Live and learn...well, I guess I will be knowing how to do a ring job on this type of motor soon.

Is it true that tecumsha's are out of business?? :thumbs2:

Gerry w

I've gotten the motor torn apart, and the governor fell out in pieces! Ordered new rings, although they look fine, gaskets and new governor pieces and hope too have it up and running in a day or so!

Michael Bullington

I had an engine with the same issue with the broken govenor...Those must break pretty easy....good luck with the rebuild

Gerry w

The governor parts are plastic, NOT a good idea IMO. Finished the rebuild yesterday and had to get creative with the linkage as the one it had was shot as well. It is running like a champ right now, never sounded this good! I want to run it but it has been raining again,(all summer) and want to wait till it stops as I gave the motor and other parts a fresh coat of paint while I had it apart. I'm interested to see what it will do under a load.

The dealer told me when I picked up the rings they were the last ones for that motor in New England. He said the motor better last...guess he's right!