Sign in to follow this  
nortonlax

"New Owner" here

nortonlax

Hello all-

I'm helping a friend get a 244-5 up and running; he's not particularly mechanically inclined but we saw a (what appeared to be) a fairly solid 244-5 and I have been helping get her running again.

I must say I have tractor envy. My Snapper is not happy with all the time I've been spending around the corner (neither is my wife).

In any case, I think there may be an issue with the PTO; it occasionally does not want to engage. sometimes it does, other times it won't. There also is a delay for it engaging after the switch is flipped of several seconds before it actually does engage.

I was wondering if there were any places you know of to get a used PTO, or rebuilt one.

Also, any troubleshooting thoughts would be great as well.

Thanks in advance-

CN

truckin88

i had a 244-h, great mower, I would go to partstree.com for diagrams and parts, or check a toro dealer.

Are the belts good? Are the pulley's good, is the belt on the correct puley run, there are two that are dependant on your dial a height setting.

My only other advice not related to the pto , but due to my experience, is check the motor mount bolts, and replace them, they tend to snap. I forget the thread size, but you can get the same ones and thread size at a hardware store.

nortonlax

Thanks. I do have the part # in case I need to get a new one ($$$$!).

Belts and pulleys look good; the PTO just won't engage. I found a PTO troubleshooting guide which leads me to belive it may be a simple as a low charge on the battery...we'll see how that goes. we had started the engine several times and then noticed the PTO would not engage any longer. the battery is a few years old.

bitten

:thumbs2:

It sounds like you might have answerd your owm question. Good Luck.

nortonlax

Well, I'm back. We've replaced the battery and PTO switch, and are still having the same problem (Blades engage when tractor is first started, but if they are disengaed for any reason they will not start again).

The last thing I want to do is replace the clutch ($$$$); are there any diagnostics to verify the clutch is in fact bad?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

nylyon

I don't know anything about this, but since it's an electric PTO, I would put a volt meter on the line to check the voltage when it engages and won't engage. If the voltage is the same, chances are the PTO is shot.

WHC-125

MikesRJ

Hello all-

I'm helping a friend get a 244-5 up and running; he's not particularly mechanically inclined but we saw a (what appeared to be) a fairly solid 244-5 and I have been helping get her running again.

I must say I have tractor envy. My Snapper is not happy with all the time I've been spending around the corner (neither is my wife).

In any case, I think there may be an issue with the PTO; it occasionally does not want to engage. sometimes it does, other times it won't. There also is a delay for it engaging after the switch is flipped of several seconds before it actually does engage.

I was wondering if there were any places you know of to get a used PTO, or rebuilt one.

Also, any troubleshooting thoughts would be great as well.

Thanks in advance-

CN

:thumbs:

Did anyone tell you about the bugs? The damnedest thing happens when you hang around a Wheelhorse. The bugs they hold come off and bite your unsuspecting A** and you instantly become an ADAWHO (Another Dumb-A** Wheelhorse Owner)!

Be careful!

Red Iron

Hiya and :thumbs:

I too, have the 244-H with electric PTO, never had any problems with mine.

However, I would like to point out there is a gap setting. If the gap is too

large, it will take longer to engage as well take more power to make it engage.

Take a .010" feeler gauge and insert it (engine off of course!) into slots

next to the 3 adjusting nuts. They should be equal at all 3 nuts. Turn nuts

until slight resistance is felt while sliding feeler gauge in the slot. Repeat for

all 3 nuts and check again. This is taken from the owner's manual.

Hope this was helpful.

nortonlax

Thanks all. will be getting dirty tomorrow.

The sad thing is it's not even MY WH to become an ADAWHO over...

MikesRJ

Thanks all. will be getting dirty tomorrow.

The sad thing is it's not even MY WH to become an ADAWHO over...

Sometimes the symptoms don't appear for a while, they finally manifest when you find a WH at a garage sale for $100.

d180man

Hi :thumbs: :thumbs2:

nortonlax

Thanks guys. The airgap was the solution. I even mowed MY lawn with his tractor while he was at work. Least he could do is cough up some gas!

MikesRJ

I even mowed MY lawn with his tractor while he was at work.

He's bug-bit, now it's just a matter of time ..... One errant garage sale and he's a goner.