Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

onan 16 fouling plug

stevebo

guys, i have an onan 16 on one of my tractors and it smokes a grey/white puff when i throttle up. the plug is new and gapped at .025 and after running it less than 1 hour the plug is covered with black soot. i have a pretty good idea of the issue however wanted to see if anyone else could give me things to look for. I was speaking with bearpath and he gave me a few things to look for. any help would be appreciated. thanks-

nylyon

Steve, what plug are you running? The "book" calls for RS14YC, and I had the same problem. When I installed the original type which came with the machine new, RS17YX, no problem since.

stevebo

Karl,

I am running an autolite. What make is the one you mentioned?

nylyon

Champion, the OEM plug is "RS17YX" and it works the best. I think that I may have a thread somewhere here, I'll have to look.

can't find it, but I can tell you I was not happy with the other plugs. Get a couple of RS17YX and give it a shot, Onan put those in for a reason?

stevebo

Karl,

Great info-thanks !!!I will try it tomorrow.

stevebo

Karl,

What should the gap be?

nylyon

I was having horrible problems, running on one cyl when starting etc.... cleaning out the carb, new fuel / air filter and the new plugs, runs like new again.

Gap is .025

WHC-125

Steve, make sure that motor has both pistons and connecting rods :thumbs: :thumbs2: