KLPickels

Parts needed for a 10 Pinion LSD.

KLPickels

Just joined the forum and glad to be a part. 

I recently bought my son a wheel horse for pulling and have started redoing some of the stuff the previous owner had done. As my we drove it around I noticed it was only pulling with one tire and one tire only no matter what you did. I tore the transmission a part and found the pinion gears in pieces and one of the axle gears missing some teeth. I’ve got a donor diff but still lack one axle gear. Does anyone know where to get one or anyone on here have one for sale?

Thanks in advance. E3E21BD4-D15A-47C2-9874-177B7A44008D.jpeg.b371f8911726f08c447a5c3217afe96e.jpeg0DF6EE33-2FC9-4C83-A275-D0E0B4742D3D.jpeg.b4a8877b7641c31f1092a9f8d7058a93.jpeg

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

You can post a Wanted ad in the Classified section here.  You can also check with A-Z Tractors in our Vendors section.  He's a great guy with lots of good used parts.

You may also want to replace that round spring that makes the Limited Slip work.  Our Vendodr Wheelhorse parts and more has the spring, any bearings, seals and gasket for your transmission. You can also find a Transmission bearings and Seals cross reference spreadsheet to buy them from a local bearing supply house pinned at the top of the Transmission section, 

Check in the Tutorials sections for videos on rebuilding your transmission

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Dang, for as nice as that tractor looks, that transmission was rode hard and put away wet.  The transmission can be fixed, and should be, but if you are just doing pulling, you may want to find a #5091 8 pinion transmission.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  I just flew home out of Orlando this morning!  I hope those tornadoes in the area were away from ya!  Nice looking rig, best of luck getting it back in tip-top shape :handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut
2 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

A-Z Tractors in our Vendors section.  He's a great guy with lots of good used parts.

You may also want to replace that round spring that makes the Limited Slip work.  Our Vendodr Wheel Horse parts and more has the spring, any bearings, seals and gasket for your transmission

:WRS:

Your son looks eager to go pulling!        :woohoo:     We have free wanted ads here too, https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/wanted/?do=form&d=2

Here are links to the vendors Oliver mentioned.   https://a-ztractor.com/   https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

Handy Don

4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

rode hard and put away wet.  The transmission can be fixed, and should be, but if you are just doing pulling, you may want to find a #5091 8 pinion transmission.  :occasion-xmas:

@KLPickels, you have what is known as a Limited Slip Transmission (think of it as an early, very unsophisticated Posi-Traction) and the PO abused it for sure.

These transmissions can give some useful additional traction for mowing or snowplowing on slopes, for example, but they aren't at all like having a locking the differential, which you see with some classes of pullers. Its weakness is what you've just seen--under very heavy loads, broken pinions. It has 10 smaller pinions compared to the #5091 (and others) which have 8 larger pinions.

If you do decide to put in a different transmission, yours could be sold via the classifieds here to someone with less strenuous demands (though your location in FL puts you in sparse WH territory), especially if you've made sure all the bearings and seals are in good shape or replaced before reassembling it.

Edited by Handy Don