41chevy

Trans needle bearing replacement

41chevy

I rode up to Lincoln’s yesterday and got a good axle to replace the bad one plus a couple other things. I don’t think it will make a difference but what’s the best way to install the new axle bearings, before I put the gears back in or after the cases are bolted back together with the axles and gears in it?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, 41chevy said:

I rode up to Lincoln’s yesterday and got a good axle to replace the bad one plus a couple other things. I don’t think it will make a difference but what’s the best way to install the new axle bearings, before I put the gears back in or after the cases are bolted back together with the axles and gears in it?

Most of the time...

I do it with the empty transmission half laying face down on the table and drive the bearing in from the outside.

I've tried it the other way around and just find it slightly more cumbersome.

• Like 2

41chevy
25 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Most of the time...

I do it with the empty transmission half laying face down on the table and drive the bearing in from the outside.

I've tried it the other way around and just find it slightly more cumbersome.

Thanks, that’s what I’ll do, they’re in the freezer now. I’ll give them a day or so. Do you Never-Seez or lube the case a little before tapping them in?

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Thanks, that’s what I’ll do, they’re in the freezer now. I’ll give them a day or so. Do you Never-Seez or lube the case a little before tapping them in?

I don't. Not sure if others do. Can't imagine it would hurt to have them dipped in gear oil before you put them in but I just install them dry or a very thin film of spray lube. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

The freezing will do next to nothing.  The thin outer race will warm to the case temperature pretty much on contact.  If you have a long bolt or all thread, nuts and something like large washers, you can pull them in.  Gear oil will be fine for a lubricant.

• Excellent 1

41chevy
25 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The freezing will do next to nothing.  The thin outer race will warm to the case temperature pretty much on contact.  If you have a long bolt or all thread, nuts and something like large washers, you can pull them in.  Gear oil will be fine for a lubricant.

That sounds like a plan, I’ve got some 3/4 all thread and heavy washers I’ll make a puller. Thx

Edited by 41chevy
Wanted to add

41chevy

I don’t know if you noticed I’m only about 20 minutes away from you.

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

If you have a long bolt or all thread, nuts and something like large washers, you can pull them in. 

Interesting idea

3 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

, I’ve got some 3/4 all thread and heavy washers I’ll make a puller

I've been known to use the old bearing housing as the base to tap so as to not ruin the new bearing

• Like 1

lynnmor
2 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I don’t know if you noticed I’m only about 20 minutes away from you.

I see, that’s where I buy all my fuel.  Saved $.66 per gallon with the tax holiday.

If you need some help, just PM me.

41chevy
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

I see, that’s where I buy all my fuel.  Saved $.66 per gallon with the tax holiday.

If you need some help, just PM me.

Thx, I don’t blame you it’s worth the drive.  So far it’s going good, this is my first complete tear down. I’ve taken pictures of everything as I took it apart. I do have a B 100 that I can refer to also when putting it back together. 

31FF9391-ACC1-4D93-B52C-D7ED2106B3FD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3