Sign in to follow this  
rustbucket

the good the bad and the ugly

rustbucket

Well i just tore off the fly wheel and as some said at the show it was something simple the key sheared when the belt jumped and jammed the output side. thats the good and bad cause it was just a key.

the ugly is i need to find a crank shaft for my 14 hp k series Kohler cause also wrong with the key way in the crank itself is cracked the full length of the keyway that possably also was a major factor to the downfall of the beast.

seems this tractor is soaking up more funds ah well. it's a love for these machines that keeps me working on em.

anyone in the north eastern PA area possably know a good engine builder who may have a crank and not be masively expensive with a rebuild???

rustbucket

and here are the pictures of the carnage

0628091023.jpg

blown apart key

0628091036.jpg

end view of the crack on the crank

0628091037.jpg

crack on the face about an inch in from end

0628091038.jpg

and the overall view od the whole crack in the crank

:thumbs2::thumbs: :ychain:

jusjeepn

Jason, I have a couple of K301 cranks sitting here! I'll check, but I'm pretty sure their the same crank!

rustbucket

pat if they are your a life saver.

Butch

rustbucket I've seen cranks on Ebay that are listed rather cheap from time to time.

Rebuild it yourself. They're easy to work on. It depends on how much you wanna spend. I think Duke had an engine rebuilt for Suburban 550 and had it shipped to him. I don't think rebuilds are cheap.

Butch

S. Jersey

Butch

As usual. I'm late with my posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs2:

TT

Jason, I have a couple of K301 cranks sitting here! I'll check, but I'm pretty sure their the same crank!

The crankshafts that will work are SOME K-321, K341, M14, and M16 (and possibly K-361).

Although the K-301 / M12 cranks share the same stroke they are not balanced properly for the heavier piston assembly and will cause the engine to vibrate excessively.

The cranks for the 14 & 16 horsepower engines can be identified by the heavier full round counterweights (throws) vs. the flat-bottomed (lighter) weights on the 12 horsepower cranks.

rustbucket

i will possably rebuild myself and since i have a machinest in my comunity with all the needed tools to do the job right prolly have him bore the block and all then i rebuild it and pray it dosnt blow up againe.

jusjeepn

Man, Everyone beat me back on here! My research was in vain because TT already had the answer! Sorry Jason! At least I learned something! Thanks TT!

rustbucket

thats all right worst comes to worst i know where a 16 hp onan that runs is for sale for 150 dollar's

rustbucket

may possably have a donner machine found but it is not a k series and it is not 14 hp. a place i know of in jersey has a 312-8 and a 416-8 laying around doing nuthing and the owner told me make him an offer. well i just remembered about them when out mowing on my 1054 and got to thinkin maybe a gt-16 wouldnt be so bad i know burly has one he is fond of. plus the 2 extra HP would come in handy for dragging the 3-point blade and rake around the roads.