danweikert21

Questions about pulling

danweikert21

Hey everyone it’s been awhile since I’ve been on red square but I’ve been doing a lot of work to my horse. I have a raider 10 with a Kohler k301. So I have a buddy and he has an 857. We like to hook chains up to the horses and see who can pull who so far he’s been the winner. I really want to pull him. His 857 has a 8hp Kohler k series and he has rear wheel weights with tire chains. He has turf saver tires. That’s his set up. On my raider I just installed a front weight bracket with 60 pounds soon to be 120 after I get on more weight. I just put super lugs on the rear tires and I have rear weights that are going on this weekend. That’s my set up. I haven’t went against him since I’ve put on all the new stuff except my super lugs. This time it was a tie neither of us went anywhere. My question to all of you fellow wheel horse enthusiasts is what do I need to know or do to pull his 857. We always pull in the woods on flat ground. Anouther question I have is what gear should I be using to pull I have 3 gears and a high and low. What are the high and low for I don’t really understand the use just need an explanation. Also thanks everyone for always helping out when I have questions :handgestures-thumbupright:

EBE3EA58-9275-480A-B90B-98C3C2DE4DFA.jpeg

• Like 2

Achto

Traction wise I would think that chains would be better than ag's.  Other than that, traction comes down to weight. As for the transmission, in high range your gearing is exactly the same as his 3 speed. Your low range gears are all lower than the 3 speed gears, example 3rd gear low is slower than 1st gear high. I like to use 2nd (high or low) gear for most working situations as it is the strongest gear inside the tranny in my opinion.

• Like 4

danweikert21
1 minute ago, Achto said:

Traction wise I would think that chains would be better than ag's.  Other than that, traction comes down to weight. As for the transmission, in high range your gearing is exactly the same as his 3 speed. Your low range gears are all lower than the 3 speed gears, example 3rd gear low is slower than 1st gear high. I like to use 2nd (high or low) gear for most working situations as it is the strongest gear inside the tranny in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

I would second all of this except the slight possibility of chains versus AG tires in the right consistency of mud or sand.

Not saying it's right or wrong. 

Trina's tractor is an 867 with limited slip differential and turfs with chains that she leaves year-round for the forest work that we do.

My tractor is a c-160 with one wheel drive and AG tires.

Most of the time, hers has excellent traction. 

AG/bar tires in most situations are self-cleaning. Chains are much less likely to be so if the driven surface is sticky or slimy. 

During late fall or very early spring when the pathways are still covered with a thick layer of leaves either one of us as the traction that we like.

Now you've got me curious. In a month or two when we can get into the forest I wouldn't mind trying this test. I feel like I would have an extremely serious advantage with weight though considering my fluid filled tires and extra steel and extra me... 🐻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

danweikert21
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I would second all of this except the slight possibility of chains versus AG tires in the right consistency of mud or sand.

Trina's tractor is an 867 with limited slip differential and turfs with chains that she leaves year-round for the forest work that we do.

AG/bar tires in most situations are self-cleaning. Chains are much less likely to be so if the driven surface is sticky or slimy. 

During late fall or very early spring when the pathways are still covered with a thick layer of leaves either one of us as the traction that we like.

Now you've got me curious. In a month or two when we can get into the forest I wouldn't mind trying this test. I feel like I would have an extremely serious advantage with weight though considering my fluid filled tires and extra steel and extra me... 🐻

Thanks for your input 

• Like 2

857lover
4 hours ago, danweikert21 said:

Hey everyone it’s been awhile since I’ve been on red square but I’ve been doing a lot of work to my horse. I have a raider 10 with a Kohler k301. So I have a buddy and he has an 857. We like to hook chains up to the horses and see who can pull who so far he’s been the winner. I really want to pull him. His 857 has a 8hp Kohler k series and he has rear wheel weights with tire chains. He has turf saver tires. That’s his set up. On my raider I just installed a front weight bracket with 60 pounds soon to be 120 after I get on more weight. I just put super lugs on the rear tires and I have rear weights that are going on this weekend. That’s my set up. I haven’t went against him since I’ve put on all the new stuff except my super lugs. This time it was a tie neither of us went anywhere. My question to all of you fellow wheel horse enthusiasts is what do I need to know or do to pull his 857. We always pull in the woods on flat ground. Anouther question I have is what gear should I be using to pull I have 3 gears and a high and low. What are the high and low for I don’t really understand the use just need an explanation. Also thanks everyone for always helping out when I have questions :handgestures-thumbupright:

EBE3EA58-9275-480A-B90B-98C3C2DE4DFA.jpeg

just get a new horse brother 😂❤️

• Haha 3

danweikert21
2 hours ago, 857lover said:

just get a new horse brother 😂❤️

To everyone in the thread 857 lover is the guy I’m pulling against 😂we’re pulling on Saturday 

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 3

Maxwell-8
On 3/4/2022 at 1:06 AM, danweikert21 said:

To everyone in the thread 857 lover is the guy I’m pulling against 😂we’re pulling on Saturday 

You won I heard.

Wild Bill in VA
On 3/3/2022 at 12:37 PM, danweikert21 said:

So I have a buddy and he has an 857. We like to hook chains up to the horses and see who can pull who so far he’s been the winner.

Look folks this IS NOT A SAFE THING TO DO. Speaking from personal experience as I have been flipped over on one of my Wheel Horses doing this. 

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

TJ5208
On 3/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, ebinmaine said:

So how the test go?

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, TJ Salyers said:

So how the test go?

On 7/7/2022 at 11:16 PM, Wild Bill in VA said:

Look folks this IS NOT A SAFE THING TO DO. Speaking from personal experience as I have been flipped over on one of my Wheel Horses doing this. 

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

Didn't do it. 

I took the excellent advice above and decided it wasn't safe.  

I have NO desire to damage our tractors or us.  

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1