heysavoy

Brake Question

heysavoy

https://vimeo.com/user167505007/review/680209151/31e34aa31f

I own a 1990 Wheel Horse Classic Model #31-12KE01. While removing the rear tire I noticed what I've posted in this video link. I assume that's my brake wheel (product name is problem wrong 😄).  Does it look normal as it appears loose to me? The only brake issues though I've had is the tractor rolls when on an incline which I thought was a parking brake problem. So looking for some thoughts.

lynnmor

Your video didn't work.

953 nut
8 minutes ago, heysavoy said:

I've posted in this video link.

Post your video on Youtube and then attach the link or just post a photo.

heysavoy
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Post your video on Youtube and then attach the link or just post a photo.

https://vimeo.com/680209151  Does this work? Thanks for responding. 

lynnmor

Now the video works.

Download the owners manual and adjust the brake correctly.  Of course the brake lining around the drum needs to be in good condition, broken and missing lining can cause an issue like that.  It is normal for those parts to appear to be a loose and sloppy assembly.

rmaynard

The video does not show the actual brake band. No way to tell if the lining is worn. The adjustment is simple if you follow the instructions in the manual. However, adjustments always assume that you have a good lining inside of your brake band. Unless there is something wrong in the linkage, or the band itself is damaged, you can re-line it with one of my linings, sold here

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• JasonMc
      By JasonMc
      Hi guys, I purchased my firs WH - a 1976 C-120 Automatic. I have a steep hill on my property and before I go down the hill, I want to understand how my braking system works. I’m aware that this year/model didn’t include disc brakes, so is the breaking purely hydraulic Via transmission and controlled by the speed lever? Has anyone encountered issues with this? Is it safe to use on a steep hill? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason
    • Chuck14025
      By Chuck14025
      C120, 1974/75 
      I added braces and shims to the rear end of the frame to beef up the cracked existing 'frame to transmission bracket'. Now, the parking brake does not engage. 
      The shims are about 1/8" and have to stay on. 
      Is there a way to adjust the parking brake?
    • WheelE
      By WheelE
      Hi All, (what's the proper term for Wheel Horse aficionados?  Wheelies?  Horsers?  Whiskey Hotels?),

Just became proud owner of a 1970 Charger 12 Auto with tiller and hydraulic loader.  We've decided to call it Samwise because it's small but mighty and (we hope) dependable.

I'm still figuring things out and have one issue:  the parking brake lever keeps popping up on its own.  That doesn't stop the tractor, so I assume the pawl has been ground down / busted.  And, the transmission continues to get power with the lever up, which makes me think someone has installed a drive belt that is too short.  Does that seem likely?  What is the proper size belt?

Thanks!  I'm sure I'll have many more questions.  I've already learned a ton perusing the archives.

• Al C.
      By Al C.
      For years I have been struggling with the brake on my Wheel Horse 1067.  Forward motion down hill takes left leg full force to stop and reverse motion down hill is impossible to stop.  So I did a little research and ended up buying a new brake lining from RMaynard (Bob) here on Red Square.  Instructions with it are simple and they work.  Put the brake shoe and new lining on this morning (used Goop to attach the lining to the shoe).  What a difference!  Stops on a dime, on a hill, forward and reverse.    Thanks, Bob !! 

• Crawdad
      By Crawdad
      Hi all you movers of snow, I have a Wheel horse 520 H 1996 Model 73501
      and just reattached my model 79361 snowthrower on it and the belt is very loose.
      I had used the blower last season and it had performed great (it came with the blower already on)
      I removed it for mowing use and reattached a month ago with the same belt. Even with the belt
      on the inner/larger PTO pulley, the belt was so loose that it would barely turn the auger without
      engagement into snow and completely stopped in snow. the belt then came off and was damaged so that
      the steel cords started to protrude and I replaced the belt. (belt: # 116332)
      The new belt slips also and the symptoms are the same, even on the larger PTO sheave.
      The belt tension spring is mounted and functioning and as far as I can tell I have routed the belt correctly.
      I tried to visit pages that show images of this, but was not allowed to view the content??
      Are there any additional ways to make the belt fit better?
      I'll post some key pictures of what it all looks like shortly
      When I removed the cover for the belt at the PTO I noticed that I had it on the smaller/outside sheave and moved it to the larger.
      this did tension the belt better and perhaps it will work. However I am concerned about the Belt guard that is situated between the 3
      pulleys on the thrower- is it in the right position?