formariz

Sharpening the Carpenters Hatchet

ebinmaine

Excellent. 

There's an art to sharpening in general and also to each individual tool.  

• Like 1

Pullstart

Wrecked by a grinder, saved by the file.  Awesome!  I typically sharpen my wood splitting tools by using a concrete pad or brick.  It’ll end up in the dirt before I know it.  Recently, I was in the woods and only had my chainsaw file.  It did the trick to get a couple nasty rolls out of the edge and I was back to chopping.

• Like 1

8ntruck

File benchwork 101.  Good post.

I'm noticing this year with the kids on the robotics team I am mentoring that their first go to is the school's cad system and cnc equipment.  Even if there is a minor, easily corrected mistake in a part, some of the students would rather go to make the corrections in cad and remake the part instead of doing benchwork to make the correction.

In the last week or so, I've taught several students about files and vices, that files only cut when pushed, how to deburr parts fresh off of the cnc machines, and introduced some to the usefulness and uses of a die grinder.  Seems I am regarded as some sort of a magician with hand tools by some of the students.  Teachable moments - demonstrate, hand the tools over, supervise, coach, and encourage.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

formariz
On 2/10/2022 at 4:30 AM, ebinmaine said:

Excellent. 

There's an art to sharpening in general and also to each individual tool.  

Thank you. Very correct, different tools for different tasks require understanding on how they perform them and do require very different sharpening techniques or methods.

• Like 1

formariz
On 2/10/2022 at 8:29 AM, Pullstart said:

Wrecked by a grinder, saved by the file

Perhaps the most appropriate  statement I ever heard regarding electric grinders and their use. Yes electric grinders  are always the demise of any tool taken to them. From the burning of tools temper, to the incorrect bevels due to the inability to see what one is doing and most times relying on absolutely stupid little rests. And to top everything else the culprit in no one ever learning the mechanics and necessary technique of sharpening different tools because they always relied on grinders.

Edited by formariz
  • Heart 1

formariz
22 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

File benchwork 101.  Good post.

Thank you.

22 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

some of the students would rather go to make the corrections in cad and remake the part instead of doing benchwork to make the correction.

A sad sign of or our inability or desire to provide early, consistent instruction, and exposure of manual skills in our children. I am not averse to stressing the benefits of a good education to children. After all I too have somewhat of a higher education. 2.5 Years to make me realize that it was not what was in my heart.Not a waste however i have to admit. The total elimination of all types of shop classes was an absolute mistake. In the very least that provided not only basic tool usage instruction, but more importantly  a window into different futures that one may not have now. From what I observe, a future in any manual labor trade now is actually frowned upon by many parents. The man that can work with is hands will always find an opportunity for work regardless of circumstances. The same cannot be said for a college graduate that never did or learned how to do anything with their hands.That fact I personally evidenced by the countless individuals with serious college degrees I encountered in my profession that changed careers in their 30s and 40s. Apprenticeship at 40years old . Time was no longer their friend. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1