RED-Z06

Thought yall might get a kick out of this one

RED-Z06

Customer pulled in yesterday with a mower and said hey you want a mower...i said sure why not.  He rolls off a clean 2006 Deere 155C, 25hp Briggs, K46, 48" deck.

Said it wouldn't run right and he was tired of it, another shop nearer his new house had been working on it and they were done trying....he said no matter whats wrong with it he doesnt want to know...

So, it ran only on choke and ran fast..told me air leak.  I pulled off the intake...they had added a rubber gasket behind the carb and pushed it out leaving a gap between the carb and intake..then cranked the nuts down so hard it warped the intake flange.  Also missing 2 of 3 screws for the upper cover..that leaks air right into the idle circuit.

I sealed it temporarily with goop and it ran fine about 20 seconds.  Ill plane the manifold flat and new gaskets, shell be a runner.

20220131_200139.jpg

20220131_200149.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

peter lena

@ RED-Z06 , terrifying to a  newbie , regular stuff if you have been staying on top of your equipment , BTW , use a HI TEMP RATED  AUTOMOTIVE SEALANT  , on that area . and detail it to verify its results. make the weak spot a solid one . lucky you , if you can turn / trade that into some thing you want , go with it . pete

Achto
13 minutes ago, peter lena said:

, BTW , use a HI TEMP RATED  AUTOMOTIVE SEALANT 

1 hour ago, RED-Z06 said:

20220131_200149.jpg

I have found that using sealant on a flat rubber gasket results in exactly what happened to the gasket in the picture. Sealant will lube the gasket and cause it to push out when it gets tightened it down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

RED-Z06
59 minutes ago, Achto said:

I have found that using sealant on a flat rubber gasket results in exactly what happened to the gasket in the picture. Sealant will lube the gasket and cause it to push out when it gets tightened it down.

Its not even supposed to be there, these assemble intake/gasket/metal/gasket/carb/gasket/filter elbow.

The metal part being an anti-pooling device.

The rubber gasket he had in there, if even needed would have gone on the dry side.

• Like 2

ranger

Anything with rubber gaskets should ideally have ‘Shouldered’ studs, or spacers, to allow the gasket to deform enough to create the seal, rubber will deform rather than compress. VW diesels had this arrangement for the cam covers, When we used these engines one thing we never had was top end oil leaks! Before VW changed to rubber they used cork, same shouldered studs, they never leaked either!

• Like 3