formariz

Expansion (expansive) augers, a much discarded asset.

Skwerl58

Great tool for sure. My dad gave me one with other bits and braces a couple of years ago. He gave them to me because he knows I appreciate and take care of my tools, especially my vintage stuff. Thanks for sharing your tools and knowledge with us!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

And that 12" throw brace looks like it has the built-in ratchet - great in tight spots. (I have my Dad's)

Bill

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Once again I've learned something without even trying to do so. 

:lol:

Interesting piece of information about the ratcheting mechanism and how to appropriately use it.

Thanks for taking the time to write these posts out Cas.

I'll be sure to share this with my female woodworking partner in crime...

• Like 1

formariz
27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Once again I've learned something without even trying to do so. 

:lol:

Interesting piece of information about the ratcheting mechanism and how to appropriately use it.

Thanks for taking the time to write these posts out Cas.

I'll be sure to share this with my female woodworking partner in crime...

Unless one is drilling holes up to about 1/2" , it becomes difficult to take a full revolution with brace. With the effort needed which will be inconsistent along the the full 360 degrees it will cause one to tilt brace reducing accuracy of hole being drilled . Place your left hand ( if right handed) on top of the brace pad and then your forehead on your hand .Make brace plumb to work. Brace will now stay in that position unless you move your body. Then using the ratcheting function pull arm of brace towards you in short strokes creating the cutting action. Notice I said pull and not push. All motion towards ones center of gravity (abdomen) is more controlled and stronger unlike away from it. Main philosophy in Japanese woodworking. That is the reason all their saws and planes are used pulling towards ones body and not pushed. It is a proven correct philosophy for thousands of years.

I am glad that this information is appreciated and useful. No big secrets here. All long proven useful methods just forgotten in time and run over by impatient modern methods and way of life. It has been one of my missions in life to keep it alive a little longer and pass it on as often as possible to those willing to absorb it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don

Was fortunate as a kid to work on building a house with my Dad and Grandfather and a (to me at the time) OLD carpenter :). I learned about these bits by wanting to help and ending up with what I now know was scut work--drilling holes in the studs and joists for BX wiring and for plumbing runs!

But I sure learned how to hold a brace and use the ratchet!

And I still have those very tools.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

I know I have a couple of those bits in my drill box...also have the ratchet brace.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 4

formariz
3 hours ago, Skwerl58 said:

My dad gave me one with other bits and braces a couple of years ago.

The one shown being used was my fathers. Its been in use for over 60 years. Its actually the only one I really use. It has never gathered any rust. Maintained clean by use.

• Like 1

formariz
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

And that 12" throw brace looks like it has the built-in ratchet - great in tight spots. (I have my Dad's)

Bill

This one was courtesy of @Jeff-C175. It’s is a brand unknown to most but popular in its day as a quality tool. Peck Stow& Wilcox. It’s a heavy duty brace having the patented ball bearing chuck” Samson”. Probably the best chuck ever made. Pad on it also has ball bearings. 
4377B739-4098-410B-857B-A6FA222C1E94.jpeg.367c46b488765e2b53fc029658c433f3.jpeg

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
25 minutes ago, formariz said:

Peck Stow& Wilcox

I'm sure you found this in your searches Cas, but here for anyone interested is a little history.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2721

I love thumbing through antique catalogs, here's one for them from 1910

https://archive.org/details/PeckStowWilcoxCoCatalogNo10/page/n27/mode/2up

25 minutes ago, formariz said:

courtesy of @Jeff-C175.

I'm real happy you're lovin' it Cas!  and happy it's in a better place than it was!

I believe, but not certain, that tool belonged to my wife's Grandfather who worked as a ship builder and carpenter.

It probably dates to a broad range from late 20s to perhaps the 50s.

Maybe even older... looking through the catalog above, starting on page 170, there are numerous braces shown.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1

formariz
6 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

It probably dates to a broad range from late 20s to perhaps the 50s

I am very familiar with them owning a few . The date range on this one is actually rather narrow since right around 1920 they stopped using this chuck and around the same time they started using the ring ratchet mechanism this one has rather than their proprietary system that is my favorite. So it is from the 1920 plus or minus a couple of years. 

From them below is my favorite brace ever. Extremely rare 6” sweep with their beautiful ratcheting system and patented chuck also. Cocobolo handles. It is from 1879. This one is in incredible condition. It has been loved all of its life. I use it all the time to drive screws. One of those few tools that one just wants to hold all the time. It’s minute size as far as braces go , the precision with which everything works and just the quality feel of it is something to admire after 143 years. 
B83157FA-3876-48F4-A819-7E43F1F45E5A.jpeg.3355d973664de2ec667e3bf226ba2dd4.jpeg

5D3BE0E6-A980-4D60-AB48-61790493D674.jpeg.53a1f7e5aa9daec315e64528e81a5dd6.jpeg

4CE21936-F13E-46AC-8DA7-847A3EC0710C.jpeg.a23cddf87160d703ded775f8a74cb6f4.jpeg

1AE7386B-FC53-4A1F-AD79-DEE111B2C81F.jpeg.2153486ff641f37f8f24f29c41b58606.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

Jeff-C175
8 minutes ago, formariz said:

This one is in incredible condition

WOW!  I'd say!  

And kudos on the very nice photography too!  Always a pleasure to view your work whether wood, or photons.