Ive decided to just let er rattle...

@Snoopy11:

I wouldn't do that if I were you. - Willy Wonka | Meme Generator

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11
7 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

And you don't value your own health and safety?

Fact is... everybody here is saying what they are because they give a fugg... ;)

Maybe we should... maybe we shouldn't... :eusa-think:

Don

RED-Z06
8 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

And you don't value your own health and safety?

I use grinders with the guards on...and i use a helmet to weld.

What more do you want from me 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

killroy

What muffler is that ? I'm looking for something to quiet down my 16 so I can hear my rattle/knock.  Yours sounds like a rod knock . Best to take it back apart and see 👀 what's going on in there. 

RED-Z06
14 minutes ago, killroy said:

What muffler is that ? I'm looking for something to quiet down my 16 so I can hear my rattle/knock.  Yours sounds like a rod knock . Best to take it back apart and see 👀 what's going on in there. 

Stock muffler.

I did...i found the rod at the outside limit of spec, crank right in the middle of spec, piston worn but bore well within tolerances..i put in a new rod, piston, rings, seals, gaskets...torqued it all to spec, still makes the same noise 

Tuneup

I'll chime-in here. My '80 rebuilt (by me) 301 always had a knock down near idle. Always thought it was excess crank play. I had that issue on the other older K301 and sure, had to alter the gasket to get it right. Took the 80 apart thanks to all this list's discussion on grenade gears and found they were more than done. Was that it? Heck, I don't know. It's strewn all over the garage waiting to locate a shop to bore it. Soon, soon. Good luck down there in Florida!

RED-Z06
19 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

I'll chime-in here. My '80 rebuilt (by me) 301 always had a knock down near idle. Always thought it was excess crank play. I had that issue on the other older K301 and sure, had to alter the gasket to get it right. Took the 80 apart thanks to all this list's discussion on grenade gears and found they were more than done. Was that it? Heck, I don't know. It's strewn all over the garage waiting to locate a shop to bore it. Soon, soon. Good luck down there in Florida!

It can be hard to find a shop willing to tool up for small engine stuff.

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, RED-Z06 said:

hard to find a shop willing to tool up for small engine stuff.

Truth!  Especially up here in Joisey where all the men have soft hands.

• Haha 3

Wheelhorse#1
6 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

The folks around here never even heard of a Kohler.I don’t even think they know what a carburetor is …and that’s sad .

• Sad 2

Jeff-C175
18 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

that’s sad

A neighbor stopped by over the summer to ask me why he couldn't get his garden hose to stop leaking.

I asked him if he checked the hose washer had fallen out.

He asked; "What's a hose washer?"

:rolleyes:

• Sad 1

RED-Z06
31 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

You think about it though...they have engines needing the decks fly cut, heads fly cut, bores punched out, cracks polished, mains align honed, they have to stop...find a way to affix a small engine into the machine, check for center, set feed speed and rpm, confirm target dimension...then run it in...clean up then go back to bread and butter jobs.

Its like..i work on alot of Stihl, Husky and Echo trimmers...they are dead easy to repair, you just turn them out one after another, then someone brings in a 30 year old Maruyama that wont start and i have to figure out how it comes apart, figure out whats broken then figure out who sells parts and what's available...i could have fixed 3 echos in that time.

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

You think about it though...they have engines needing the decks fly cut, heads fly cut, bores punched out, cracks polished, mains align honed, they have to stop...find a way to affix a small engine into the machine, check for center, set feed speed and rpm, confirm target dimension...then run it in...clean up then go back to bread and butter jobs.

Its like..i work on alot of Stihl, Husky and Echo trimmers...they are dead easy to repair, you just turn them out one after another, then someone brings in a 30 year old Maruyama that wont start and i have to figure out how it comes apart, figure out whats broken then figure out who sells parts and what's available...i could have fixed 3 echos in that time.

So you're saying that the 'crackers' have soft hands too?  

RED-Z06
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

So you're saying that the 'crackers' have soft hands too?  

We call em Yuppies...and yes.  I literally do 150+ dollar service calls to replace a battery because they dont own or cant operate a charger or 7/16 wrench.

Jeff-C175
8 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

call em Yuppies

There's Yuppies, and there's DAMN Yuppies !  ;)

You run mobile service too ?

image.png.eab1296578920f32594cb3ea7e433865.png

Edited by Jeff-C175

RED-Z06
4 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

There's Yuppies, and there's DAMN Yuppies !  ;)

You run mobile service too ?

image.png.eab1296578920f32594cb3ea7e433865.png

I try not to, i really dislike onsite work, but if they want to pay me...ill do it.  Going Monday to put a spindle on a 42" craftsman.  Part cost me $22, with the cordless impact ill have it changed in 20 minutes tops, quoted $175 and they were excited...they dont have to rent a truck and trailer because their Scion Tc cant actually be useful.  Offered to pickup and deliver for a bit less but...they preferred to keep it on their property...odd people.

• Like 2

Snoopy11
15 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

they preferred to keep it on their property

Actually... people have good reason for feeling that way.

Especially when when you are on the other side of dumb-butt service... :unsure:

Don

stevasaurus

I am going to lock this thread...it was OK to have at it, until the attacks started.  It is too bad...you guys have a lot of experience to talk about...too bad you can't keep it civil.  :bow-blue:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Sad 1