Crazy_Carl

Modified Off Road Raider 12

kpinnc

Oddly enough for me, that was enjoyable to watch. All too often I've seen some folks push these like they are trying to break them, and I can't stand that.

I always advocated for people to do what they want with thier tractors, so I can't stop now. :hide:

Your video was great. Looked like fun! The spotter on the hillside was smart. Maybe not for him, but definitely for you! :lol:

The B80 was moving! The gears singing hurt a bit, but looked like fun regardless!

Those fat tires look to smooth thing out nicely too!

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Crazy_Carl
3 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Oddly enough for me, that was enjoyable to watch. All too often I've seen some folks push these like they are trying to break them, and I can't stand that.

Your video was great. Looked like fun! The spotter on the hillside was smart. Maybe not for him, but definitely for you! :lol:

The B80 was moving! The gears singing hurt a bit, but looked like fun regardless!

Those fat tires look to smooth thing out nicely too!

This is why I like to have more than one tractor.  The C-100 and C-125 get babied and stay stock.  The Raider 12 that I bought for $125 with no engine with the steering and front axle a total mess gets modified and beat on.

• Like 2

kpinnc
10 minutes ago, Crazy_Carl said:

This is why I like to have more than one tractor.  The C-100 and C-125 get babied and stay stock.  The Raider 12 that I bought for $125 with no engine with the steering and front axle a total mess gets modified and beat on.

I don't mean to sound like the WH police. It's just a preference for me. I have a short frame and a couple spare trannies, and your video makes my "fabrication gene" kick in- but I know I'd break something on the tractor or myself that can't be easily replaced.

As I said I've many times defended members over the years that have been scolded for changing things, because it's more important to enjoy these machines than to make an "all original trailer queen". They were meant to be enjoyed, and I say go for it. 

My knee jerk comes from years of seeing local young kids take a dang nice tractor (rare find here) and destroy them just for fun. Shame on me, as I can't have it both ways. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

BeninCT
2 hours ago, Crazy_Carl said:

Thanks.  This video explains the belt system.  The B-80 has a similar one.  I'm running a 5" pulley on the engine and trans and topping out at about 10 mph.  The B-80 is ungoverned with a 7" engine pulley and a 5" trans pulley topping out around 20 mph.

https://youtu.be/3lunJWkxMUQ

Thanks. I wonder how that rear end will last at those speeds?  Any idea?   Looks fun

• Like 1

Crazy_Carl
6 hours ago, BeninCT said:

Thanks. I wonder how that rear end will last at those speeds?  Any idea?   Looks fun

well these transmissions are built extremely well so they hold up really well.  occasionally I do hear about a welded or gear flipped diff breaking. 

• Like 3

Greentored
8 hours ago, BeninCT said:

Carl is right, these things hold up amazingly well, even with pulley changes pushing a few of these things to the 30+mph range. I think the fact of it being a belt drive means theres always going to be at least a little slip/rubber band effect when clutching or getting on/off the throttle, and that lack of shock saves em.

I always think of that little 1/8" woodruff key on the trans pulley, holding up the whole operation haha. The Pond boys knew what they were doing!

• Like 3

Maxwell-8
On 1/17/2022 at 1:36 PM, Greentored said:

Carl is right, these things hold up amazingly well, even with pulley changes pushing a few of these things to the 30+mph range. I think the fact of it being a belt drive means theres always going to be at least a little slip/rubber band effect when clutching or getting on/off the throttle, and that lack of shock saves em.

I always think of that little 1/8" woodruff key on the trans pulley, holding up the whole operation haha. The Pond boys knew what they were doing!

Maybe going with a lighter weight oil in the tranny to keep those needle bearings better lubed. 

Could that help in the long run?

Greentored
18 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Maybe going with a lighter weight oil in the tranny to keep those needle bearings better lubed. 

Could that help in the long run?

I suppose it could. Seems like guys are using a variety of lubes in them and all doing just fine.  I did a complete overhaul on mine because it was getting noisy, and afterwards it still is- likely just gear wear from the last 40-50 years (remember, I built this out of worn out parts and saved the good pieces for properly used machines haha).  Im running straight 140W to cushion the gears, and its been doing just fine.

I do have to say it produces a LOT of drag on cold starts in the colder months like now. I run it at least 5 minutes at high idle before going anywhere.....

Maxwell-8
28 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Im running straight 140W to cushion the gears, and its been doing just fine.

I run 90w140!  seems to be doing real well for me as well! 

I think clean oil is the most important!

Greentored
21 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

I run 90w140!  seems to be doing real well for me as well! 

I think clean oil is the most important!

Perfect. I noticed a big difference in noise reduction going to straight 140 but not sure if its helping other than noise.

@Crazy_Carl what are you running these days?

These Horse trannys are so tough, Im pretty sure someone could run pee in them and theyd live:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lee1977

Straight cut gears are going to whine. Where I grew up there was a truck farmer half mile down the road. He was always work his fields to 9:00 to !!:00 at night. You could hear that old Oliver 66 whining a mile away.

Might be worth getting a magnetic drain plug and filling it with automatic trans. fluid and check to see if there is more wear.  As far as weight. 40 w engine oil and 85w gear oil are the same weight.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

ebinmaine

Yepp. Some truck gears do that as well. Especially reverse where it really doesn't need to be refined.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, Greentored said:

someone could run pee in them and theyd live

16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yepp

We need @SylvanLakeWH ...:law-policeblue:...

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
3 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

We need @SylvanLakeWH ...:law-policeblue:...

Don

:scared-eek:

• Haha 3

Crazy_Carl

@Greentored Straight cut gears will whine.  That’s why modern gears are built with bevels.  So my favorite oil is 85W-140.  I don’t have issues with it even in the winter.      That’s what my parts manual for my C-125 specs out.  I have tried running 80W-90 and my brand new transmission input seal started leaking a tiny bit so I think that leak might be due to the thinner oil.  I also like the feel of the shifter with the thicker oil.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Crazy_Carl

Hello!  I haven't been on here in a while.  These videos go very in depth.  Enjoy!

I combined new wheel horse spindles with trailer spindles to create a bulletproof spindle with heavy duty tapered roller bearings.  Now I have cast iron trailer hubs that I have drilled and tapped for a 45 degree grease fitting.  I also had to lengthen and rebuild my tie rods.

Flawless braking performance has been achieved🥳 Note: Thunderstruck by AC/DC is the best test drive song to have on repeat in your Beats. RED STAG 69 Raider 12 The Best Rusty Copy - Page 6 102878487 It's so nice having a well engineered and executed brake system that works just as well stopping you in reverse as it does going forward. The pedal feel is perfect and very similar to a hydraulic rear disc brake on a Polaris Trailblazer that I had. Also it's weird running hot laps around your house when it's pitch black out at 6 PM. Great test of the Tiny Tach too as it is handy to have. Also this engine really likes cold 32 degree air and no drag from the jenky
brake band. This thing goes from 0-15mph in a hurry starting in 2nd and shifting into 3rd on the fly

9d150a10.jpg

IMG_8548.jpeg

IMG_8554.jpeg

IMG_8556.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 8.58.10 AM.png

Edited by Crazy_Carl
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Crazy_Carl

Well after upgrading my Mac OS so I could run FreeCad and make a template for a 5 on 4.5" bolt hole circle to re-drill my brand new ALUMINUM RIMS, RED STAG has a new pair of shoes! 25x11-10 ITP Mudlites to be exact. I like the trusted mud performance and how squishy they are. Danceparty

Then I used some scales to weigh what the tractor weighs with me on it with the help of my Dad to read the scales and it comes to a light 665 lbs with rider with a 100 lb difference between the front and rear axles. This doesn't include the toolbox or beers in the trunk lol.

IMG_8824.JPG

IMG_8836.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

IMG_8844.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1