Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Yazoo mowers

T-Mo

I know there was one member here who has one. I operated one back in the late 70's when I was in the Army (had to have an operator's license - go figure). So tell me, who here has used a Yazoo mower, like this one: Yazoo Mower

modracer

that thing is cool...you need a operator's license for that? :thumbs:

T-Mo

Well, the Army required you to have an operator's license for just about everything. If it had a motor, you needed a license.

modracer

wow :thumbs: lol

Rollerman

Terry it looks just like the one my boss from my lawn care days out of high school used to have.

I don't remember it haveing the plush high back seat though & pretty sure it had a Wsconsin engine in it.

I hope to get over to Jim's place someday & take a peek at his...or even find one in the summer to play with at the inlaws.

Jim_M

I know there was one member here who has one. I operated one back in the late 70's when I was in the Army (had to have an operator's license - go figure). So tell me, who here has used a Yazoo mower, like this one: Yazoo Mower

That would be me.

The one in the craigslist ad is newer than mine, it has a Briggs engine. Mine has a Wisconsin that must weigh about a half ton. Mine is also a 60" cut, the 48's are harder to find.

That's not a bad price for it, it looks to be in nice condition.

They'll mow a lot of grass in short time as long as it's level ground, they're not good on hills or slopes.

Once you get used to them they're kind of fun to mow with, but you need to practice for a while before you try any high speed manuevers, they're not very forgiving.

CasualObserver

I've never used a Yazoo, but I've driven a Honeybee, very similar. I'll have to try to find a picture of one.

Jim_M

There was also a yellow version of the Master Mower, sold to the military under the name Howard Price.

I'm not sure how the story goes, but I think that for some reason the goverment got mad at Yazoo, and quit buying mowers, so Yazoo painted them yellow, put a sticker on that said "Howard Price" and sold them to the goverment through a guy named Howard Price.

There was also another mower that resembled the Yazoo pretty closely, it was called a Scag, I'm not sure if they're still in business.

refracman

I have one also and its the Howard Price version, its yellow with a 18hp Wisconsin on it, I bought from a local metropark auction in 92, all that left now is the drive unit.

And your right Jim about the learning curve on drivein them things

their wicked :thumbs:

Jim_M

Steve,

You should gear that one up a little, make it run about 50 mph, it would be good entertainment at partys! Give your friends a few beers, make them sign a liability waiver, fire it up and get out the video camera. You would be sure to have a $10,000 winner on America's funniest videos! Just park all your good vehicles inside that day, those scrub brakes that Yazoo's have will take a while to get it slowed down before the crash.

If the deck ever goes bad on mine, that's my plan.

Jim

Rollerman

I seen a Yazoo tractor at the fall Wapakoneta swap meet that must of had 5 bucket seat added to it & a beer keg in the middle.

No mower deck though...wish I would of got a pic. :thumbs:

It had Country Fried Video wrote all over it!

T-Mo

Jim,

You're right - there is a learning curve to those old Yazoos and you're also right on them being not too good on slopes. You should had seen me on one when I was in the Army. Initially I was thinking, "just give me a push mower" this thing is going to kill me yet. But I did get the hang of them and was able to operate one efficiently.

As for Howard Price mowers, they're still in business. Here's their website: Howard Price Turf Equipment. I think they are located in or near Kansas City.

refracman

Ken, when that thing still was in service a buddy of mine wanted to give'er a spin. He started off slow then decided he was in control of it. THen he hit a mole hole, he flew off and that thing chased him around, and as you NOTHING slows them blades down. I ran over and got control of it before it ran him over.After a couple of beers we had a good laugh about it. After that I didnt let anyone drive that beast.

I've been thinkin bout what to do with it, the engine only has bout a 100hrs on it since i rebiult it and the hydro is strong still. Have to think bout makein it into a carnival ride, could be fun.

wingrider

Not sure if anyone will see this

While looking back in the other brands today I see this post about Yazoo mowers

If interested I have 3 of these Master Mowers, 2 are YR 60s and one is a YR 48,

two have 16 hp B&S and 1 has a 12 HP Wisconsin on it. The one 16 HP has a 60"

deck the other is a 48" deck, the 12 HP has a 60" deck also.

They are great mowers for mowing large areas and trimming while you go.

2 of these are 1970 era and the 12 HP one is a 50s version that still mowes

as good as ever.

I would like to sell the 2 with the B S motors as I no longer use them, if interested

let me know, I'm about 90 miles straight south of Chicago.

Send me a message if interested.

Wingrider