Gregor

Snap ring pliers

Gregor

Last summer I bought what I thought was a good set of snap ring pliers. Recently when I opened up my K341 to remove the balance gears, I discovered I didn't have one small enough to use on the snap rings. I reverted to my old "convertible" type pliers and finally got the snap rings off, but it was a chore. Can anyone recommend a GOOD set of pliers? 

• Like 2

peter lena

@Gregor past experience on snap ring removal is penetrating oil ring spray and light tapping to free up ring , agree with @Achto  on the old solid type , the newer switch point type are junk, no lateral strength. might fid a set online , or yard sale , good luck , pete

• Like 3

Achto

Has any one tried the Irwin convertible pliers? They use a little different system instead of the interchangeable tips. Irwin is a fairly good name, fact I will not buy a set of locking pliers that does not say Irwin Vise Grip on the handle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRWIN-2078900-Vise-Grip-Convertible-Snap-Ring-Pliers-Kit/17238088

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

I would be willing to give these a try.  Watch the video.  Harbor Freight has been trying to clean up their act in recent history.

• Like 3

Gregor

That's the exact set I bought earlier this year.  I don't recommend them.

• Thanks 2

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

That's the exact set I bought earlier this year.  I don't recommend them.

How did they fail?

• Like 1

Gregor
7 hours ago, Gregor said:

Last summer I bought what I thought was a good set of snap ring pliers. Recently when I opened up my K341 to remove the balance gears, I discovered I didn't have one small enough to use on the snap rings. I reverted to my old "convertible" type pliers and finally got the snap rings off, but it was a chore. Can anyone recommend a GOOD set of pliers? 

kpinnc

I look at snap ring pliers as somewhat disposable. I can't remember how many times I've broken them. The recent balance gear removal I did on the Charger broke a set. 

I know the argument. You get what you pay for. But I can't justify a near $300 Snap On set. Maybe if my job required such a thing. Same attitude towards most any tool or toolbox. Dang near everything tool-wise now has lifetime warranties. Until that changes, I'll keep being a cheapo champion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Handy Don

Same page as you. For certain tools I know will get used often or hard I'll go to higher grade. Otherwise, the economy model.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
On 12/9/2021 at 8:25 AM, Achto said:

Has any one tried the Irwin convertible pliers?

I have that set, among others.  They work just 'OK' if you have good access to the ring.  If the quarters are tight, they are difficult to get in the holes because the jaws are 'spring loaded' and move around independent of the handle.

The tips aren't particularly hard steel and once they slip one time they get rounded over and become basically unusable because they will now slip out EVERY time!

• Thanks 1

wallfish

File the tips down to fit in the holes?

When you file the tips leave a little burr on the end facing out so the ring doesn't slip off so easily. Doesn't need to be very big but enough to catch the edge of the rings.

Not sure if Gregor's dilemma was the tool didn't fit in the ring holes or there wasn't enough room to get to the ring. Quality of tool wouldn't really matter for the later so...

For the amount of rings I do the cheapos are in order and will get modified down to a nub.

:twocents-02cents:

1.jpg.4fef5d0c328bb7804553d987371e7c9a.jpg

• Like 4

squonk

I used to have to work on medical equipment in an OR at night. Surgical tables, Patient beds and such. Had to get all gowned up and you could only bring in tools you absolutely needed. And you had to schedule ahead  to even get in there at times. Could not bring the equipment out of the sterile area unless it was really needed to do so. Lots of gears and bearings held in with snap rings. Hospital had an over priced set of stainless snap ring pliers. They didn't work worth a crap. I brought in my then 30 yr. old set of Blue Points in. Actually was able to repair something without taking half the night.

ClassicTractorProfessor
On 12/9/2021 at 5:18 AM, Achto said:

I bought this set some time in the '80's. Still using it to day. Price has definitely gone up on them.:( 

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Snap-Ring-Pliers/7-pc-Snap-Ring-Pliers-Set-(Red)/SRPCR107

I bought the 12 Pc Set of these a few months back.12 pc Retaining Ring Pliers Set (Green) | SRPC112G | Snap-on Store (snapon.com)  Close to $500 after tax. 

I do have ONE regret after buying them...waiting too long and fighting with the cheap Chinese junk set I've had forever before upgrading to the SnapOn set. I absolutely love them, money well spent in my opinion, but I do use them almost daily. For occasional use I'm sure there are lesser priced pliers out there that would work well.

• Like 3

Handy Don

When it's your livelihood or getting heavy use, the quality tool wins every time. Choosing where to invest can be hard, though.

I bought a mid-level Channel-Lock set last year with interchangeable tips after my (what I could afford at the time) low grade set's tips had been dressed to their limit! It has a good range of straight and 90º tips, and easily switches from inner to outer rings. It is a bit of effort to change the tips, and it seems that every time I go to use it, the wrong size is in there! But since I don't use it that often, I can live with it just fine. I did dedicate a little box with a good-sealing lid to keep all the extra tips, setscrews, a tweezer, and the Allen wrench together. Satisfied.

cleat

I have these two set I have been using for years both at work and at home.

Have not broke one yet.

DSCN4044.JPG.1657be8dbc8b0d1201120696090ab417.JPG

DSCN4046.JPG.41e1fc1ce05aa62c08e08403526f1fd6.JPG

DSCN4047.JPG.bf9878d1eadbecc289d6506027ec309a.JPG

• Like 3