Sign in to follow this  
Gene_S

1054 Serial Number?

Gene_S

Hi Guys,

Today I got my 1054 out and started scraping the paint off of the serial number sticker and found these numbers (62- 176). Can some one tell me what this means because below is also the serial number sticker off of my 702 (62- 1195). The motor is a 10hp and the decals seem to be all original just either painted over or around.

Thanks,

Gene :thumbs2:

1054SerialNumber.jpg

702SerialNumber.jpg

1054RearView.jpg

rustbucket

year 62 made and number 176 off the line made

Gene_S

Thanks rustbucket... But I knew that part and I didn't explain myself very well sorry :thumbs: . They made this tractor model first in 1963 as a 953 then in 64 and 65 as 1054 and 1054A. Why is the year 62 when they didn't start making it that year? I don't think the decal has never been changed and just don't understand. :thumbs2:

Thanks,

Gene :ychain:

rustbucket

they tended to do like car makers do and start the next years models at the end of the prior year so even if it was ment as a 63 it possably was made at the end of 62

Gene_S

That makes sense, I didn't think of it that way. Guess I may have a 953 repowered with a 10hp motor instead of a 9hp. Thanks!!!

Jim_M

Could be they found a box of old decals and decided to use them up. Wheel Horse was known to do things like that.

linen beige

Could be they found a box of old decals and decided to use them up. Wheel Horse was known to do things like that.

:)

I hadn't seen this thread before now. :USA:

The "62" series decals were used into the early '63 model year. Later '63 models used just sequential numbers with no prefix. The 1054 was a '64 model. That means that even IF it was built in late '63 a "62" series serial tag wouldn't have been used. I think it is highly likely that a few old decals were found and used. Of course, it is also possible that this particular tractor has been repainted more than once and the "62" series decal was added after one of the early repaints.

kloe0699

How do you know this kinda stuff?:):USA: I am just trying to live and learn! :wh:

Gene_S

Jim I have found two other 1054 with 62-XXXX s/n on them since this post. I know I took pictures of them but you think I can find them pictures... :) I feel Jim M is right after all the other WH "Use the parts up" tractors I've seen. But anything is possible!!!

TT

Aside from talking to someone who worked on the production line in the early sixties, the only other potential way to explain this correctly would be the production ledgers. The "62-" prefix was definitely used on the 32R&E and 502/552/702 models, but also found it's way on to some of the early 1963 tractors. (typical "use all of the left-overs until they're gone" WH practice)

I have been noticing that a few of the 953/1054 models have the "62-XXX" numbers (very low numbers after the hyphen) ~ which would lead some to believe they were produced early in 1962, but they could not have been. Unlike automobiles, the digits after the hyphen aren't necessarily the consecutive unit number, but rather a number used to record the production of the tractors in the ledgers. Perhaps the very first box of ID stickers were misplaced and later found - then used on the 953/1054 models as they were manufactured? :USA:

The only thing I am positive about is that the 953/1054 tractors were not built before the first 1962 "little" tractors. :)

clintonnut

I'm starting to think that the serial number wasn't what order in the year it was produced but the serial number being the number of that model. For example my 953 is 62-672. This means it could have been the 672 952 built not the 672 1962 tractor built. My 702 is serial number 12730 and it has December 1961 casting dates on the tranny.

Charlie

TT

Those numbers on the stickers have no relevance as to what model the tractor is or when it was built in relation to others - unless you can look them up in the production ledgers.

There was no set pattern or logical system and they seem to have jumped all around.

Theoretically - Imagine this........

A total of 200 tractors are scheduled to be built "today":

20 32R's

40 32E's

20 502's

50 552's

70 702's

The stickers are pulled from one box or bin and are placed on each tractor as they come down the line(s). The person(s) placing the stickers are writing down the ID number from the sticker with the model of each tractor to be recorded in the production ledger at the end of the shift or day.

TT

I'm starting to think that the serial number wasn't what order in the year it was produced but the serial number being the number of that model. For example my 953 is 62-672.

That would work if the prefix would have been "953-" or "702-". etc.

Otherwise, #672 of each model built would all have the same ID numbers.