AHS

LED headlights

AHS

I’m sure this one has been asked before…. But where can I get/ part #for an LED headlight for a toro/WH two headlight design? Like on your 310, 312, 414.

Achto

Maxwell-8

The model number for those lamps is PAR36   Also just in partylighting, maybe you will find a LED conversions that looks stock. 

I did go for incandescent plain glass on my blackhood. They use the same lamps.

DSC_0430.JPG.93a5ed83996482a6fbea7ca7556e6615.JPG

• Like 4

peter lena

@Maxwell-8  if you want to enhance those lights , add more grounding to them . recommend using a 4 ga  wire from your battery ground rail bolt cable point , going to lower engine / frame  corner  , serrated washers and dielectric grease , going to voltage rectifier , and from that ground point going to your hood head lights , of course  going to smaller 12 ga wire , to rectifier and hood lights . this is an easy upgrade that you will really notice . will also probably enhance electrical starting ease , just my experience , pete

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
3 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Maxwell-8  if you want to enhance those lights , add more grounding to them . recommend using a 4 ga  wire from your battery ground rail bolt cable point , going to lower engine / frame  corner  , serrated washers and dielectric grease , going to voltage rectifier , and from that ground point going to your hood head lights , of course  going to smaller 12 ga wire , to rectifier and hood lights . this is an easy upgrade that you will really notice . will also probably enhance electrical starting ease , just my experience , pete

Since I have an new engine in it, I will have to do a complete rewiring. Going over kill on them all. at least double so thick then original.

I will for sure take your info on board!:handgestures-thumbupright:  thanks

Maxwell

• Like 2

WH-Dave

I bought some PAR36 LED units off Amazon for my C195.  Not stock looking for sure, but they work great.

20210921_162353.jpg.195f39d996a462a8797393366058c20c.jpg20210921_161742.jpg.2b7ff570bc05375e42e8951dd97a6d72.jpg20210921_132843.jpg.48b92f26e20778c9723b8793206f3238.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
29 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Since I have an new engine in it, I will have to do a complete rewiring. Going over kill on them all. at least double so thick then original.

I will for sure take your info on board!:handgestures-thumbupright:  thanks

Maxwell

WH was frugal, but not cheap (with a couple of exceptions!). The wire gauges they used were just fine and increasing thicknesses does little or nothing to improve the electrical service on the tractor. Seriously.

The real issues come with deterioration--broken strands in the wire, rusty or corroded connections, and inadequate grounding.

It does pay to upgrade items susceptible to failure (9-pin connector and exposed fuse panels, I'm lookin' at you!) but otherwise, repair or replacing in kind is plenty good enough and conserves resources.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 3

Maxwell-8
54 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

WH was frugal, but not cheap (with a couple of exceptions!). The wire gauges they used were just fine and increasing thicknesses does little or nothing to improve the electrical service on the tractor. Seriously.

The real issues come with deterioration--broken strands in the wire, rusty or corroded connections, and inadequate grounding.

It does pay to upgrade items susceptible to failure (9-pin connector and exposed fuse panels, I'm lookin' at you!) but otherwise, repair or replacing in kind is plenty good enough and conserves resources.

I know they weren't making them on the cheap. Heavier duty battery/ starter cables, because that is what I have in stock. and the light system gets some heavier wires, cause I may run 150W headlights in the future.

We have had a Ford dealership, still a lot of NOS stuff is laying here, including lots of wires, so if I can go bigger, at no extra cost...  ..I will.

Where do I have an exposed 9 pin connector and or exposed fuse panel? 

Edited by Maxwell-8

Handy Don
50 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

I know they weren't making them on the cheap. Heavier duty battery/ starter cables, because that is what I have in stock. and the light system gets some heavier wires, cause I may run 100W headlights in the future.

Where do I have an exposed 9 pin connector and or exposed fuse panel? 

100W input or output?

A pair of 100w output 12v PAR36 LEDs is likely drawing only 24w of input power, about 2 amps.

A pair of 100w incandescent's would be drawing over 16 amps -- likely at or above the total output capacity of your engine!

16ga is rated for 3.7 amps (44.4w @ 12v) 

9-pin and fuse panel may not apply to your tractor...

9-pin connector came in the 80's notably with Onan engines which had more connections between the engine and the tractor. The single 9-pin for all the "low amperage" connections (oil sensor, tachometer, battery charge, ignition, and starter solenoid actuator for example) permitted faster assembly at manufacture--just connect ground, high amp connection to solenoid, and 9-pin and good to go.

Fuse panel is also mostly on 80's C's, 400's, and 500's which had more circuitry.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

100W input or output?

A pair of 100w output 12v PAR36 LEDs is likely drawing only 24w of input power, about 2 amps.

A pair of 100w incandescent's would be drawing over 16 amps -- likely at or above the total output capacity of your engine!

16ga is rated for 3.7 amps (44.4w @ 12v) 

9-pin and fuse panel may not apply to your tractor...

9-pin connector came in the 80's notably with Onan engines which had more connections between the engine and the tractor. The single 9-pin for all the "low amperage" connections (oil sensor, tachometer, battery charge, ignition, and starter solenoid actuator for example) permitted faster assembly at manufacture--just connect ground, high amp connection to solenoid, and 9-pin and good to go.

Fuse panel is also mostly on 80's C's, 400's, and 500's which had more circuitry.

100 watt incandescent in the front, 50 W output LED, so more like 6-10W, keeping me under the 15Amps that my engine can produce.

I will also be redoing the fuses, to sealed ones since I have them in stock as well. 

5pcs In Line Standard Blade Fuse Holder Splash Proof For ...

• Like 4

DougC

I added a couple of lights on top of my snow cab a few years ago that were led and an orange caution light led as well. I noticed when I have the two lights on that any radio goes into total static and when I turn off the lights the music plays again.. I bought really cheep Amazon stuff but I'm a cheap skate and just push snow in the dark if I want to listen to Chubby Checker.......B)

• Excellent 1

AHS

All good stuff! Thank you!

morePEdal

Sorry, new to this. I just bought a 416-8 and want to upgrade the lights to LED. I see the link to Par36 on Amazon. Is there anything else I need to do besides swap them out?

peter lena

@WH-Dave  Walmart has a very good led tail light , thats an exact match for the original , very bright glowing red . have them on my horses . also ran an added ground cable from my battery ground cable bolt point to the engine / frame corner to enhance related tin grounding , rectifier , headlights . easy to do , very effective , pete 

• Like 1