Pullstart

Awesome!

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

building the tractor for my young daughter

That's awesome. 

The 2-tone should look very good. 

kpinnc

Very cool project! My girls never liked my tractors enough to want one. Glad to hear another kid likes tractors!

Absolutely none of my business, it's just one parent speaking to another- but you may want to include running board style footrests. Looks like you already thought of this since the originals are gone. If not, those stirrups on those older tractors were dangerous, and even more so that close to the ground. Kids like to drag their feet, and that could go very badly. 

• Like 2

71_Bronco
7 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Very cool project! My girls never liked my tractors enough to want one. Glad to hear another kid likes tractors!

Absolutely none of my business, it's just one parent speaking to another- but you may want to include running board style footrests. Looks like you already thought of this since the originals are gone. If not, those stirrups on those older tractors were dangerous, and even more so that close to the ground. Kids like to drag their feet, and that could go very badly. 

Yes, I have considered some kind of running board. The original lawn rangers did not come with anything, not even stirrups.

I also need to fabricate some kind of belt guard for the starter-generator as well. I don't like the idea of the exposed belt so close to the clutch pedal, even for an adult-only tractor.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

C series footboards may be a relatively easy retrofit… they have an “up” portion at the rear to protect driver from the rear tires as well… see pic example… would also provide base for a vertical belt guard if you can’t find one for that particular engine… 

:twocents-twocents:

A09333AE-2461-4969-AD8A-D76B4465500F.jpeg

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
Added pic
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

need to fabricate some kind of belt guard for the starter-generator

Could you use a K series guard as a beginning point?

Or maybe one off an air compressor?

• Like 1

Pullstart

I didn’t even see the Wisconsin engine hiding under the hood!  So cool!

• Like 1

71_Bronco
31 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I didn’t even see the Wisconsin engine hiding under the hood!  So cool!

Engine is an S7D, rated at 7.2 HP @ 3,600 RPM. Got it for $100 if I recall correctly. Had it on the shelf when I got the Lawn Ranger, and thought it would be a cool, unique project to try to shoe-horn it under the hood.

1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Could you use a K series guard as a beginning point?

Or maybe one off an air compressor?

Probably going to make something custom. I was kicking around the idea of a custom starter-generator mount, to up it up high like the Kohlers do. This would, in theory, give room for the battery.

My other plan was to put the battery under the seat, but I'd have to make sure I add a cover to prevent the seat from bending down and hitting the terminals.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1