Sign in to follow this  
echris

1954 Walker Turner TA-1180 Restoration

echris

In the mid 2000's I got this rusty 1954? Walker Turned 10" cabinet saw. I set out on a complete restoration. 

I created the website in 2006, and it's kinda clunky to operate, but most of the pics of the process are there.

Just remember to click the round icon at the top left  of the green bar to go back to the main page. 
When you're viewing the photos, you need to click the round icon twice.
restoration (yittle.net)

When I finished this restoration, I thought to myself, "My great-grandkids might be using this saw!"

Teaser photos:

beforeafter.jpg.f5e4b8e323e8f425dd64e1a5fe2884cb.jpg

P9250009.jpg.9d90901324f640794b21ecfd409d9705.jpg

• Excellent 2

echris

I forgot to include the best pic. About 10 years later I cleaned her off, oiled her up and put her to work. 

Pine dust all up in my nose....:D

EDIT: This things a beast. And terrifying to operate. As it should be.
When you flip that switch and she spins up, your hackles rise and you think, "ok, ok. You're a SAW!"

I love her.

461692317_WalkerTurner.jpg.167603b02813ba162cf8aca809d27625.jpg

Edited by echris
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

pacer

That is one ..... well, its just ...beautiful! (I love old tools!)

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz
13 hours ago, echris said:

1954? Walker Turned 10" cabinet saw.

Your saw is actually from 1946 . If you can post the serial # and any tags it has it can be more precisely dated.

Does your have the magnetic switch?

One of the outstanding features of that saw was the micro adjusting feature on fence.. Great saw. Predecessor to the Unisaw.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

pacer

Reading your post on the restoration of the old saw, threw my memory into "reminiscent" mode of one of (many!) rebuilds and I went digging back thru some of my old projects/pictures and thought you, and maybe others would enjoy my favorite rebuild. This was before I got bit by the Wheel Horse addiction. I have a fairly well equipped machine shop and I would prowl the countryside for old machine tools - lathes, mills, shapers, etc (Heh, like I NOW do with WH's)

This is a 1958? 13" Sheldon lathe That at the time I got it had no idea it was rather a rare model. ! was very active in the "Home Shop Machinist" forum at the time and on telling my adventures of the lathe I was finding out that it was a rare bird, and was strongly urged to send my account of the rebuild to a web site ran by a fella in England the was wanting any/all info - rebuilds/odd balls/literature, etc on old machinery.  @echris He may like to have your rebuild....So, I did contact him and he was very pleased to get the info on it. (see link for the full description)

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon-walking-stick-lathe/

I already had a later model 13" South Bend and for some time I agonized on whether to keep the Sheldon or stay with the SB - I had really taken a liking to the Sheldon! But the SB had several more 'modern' adaptions and I finally decided to sell the Sheldon. Took several pics and gave a good description of my rebuild on it and put it on CL, at what I thought was pretty pricy for an old lathe--- Two hrs later I get - first of many - a call, and guy wants to come see it after he gets off work, some 4-5 hrs away. By the time he got here I had 3-4 other calls, with one guy from 300 miles away offering me $500 over asking price if I'd just sell it to him!! But. I dont do things like that, I just told him that if the first guy turned it down, then he could have it --- needless to say the first guy bought it!!

That was the last machine I did, because along about that time I had found a WH and I was hooked:handgestures-thumbupright:

919743503_Sheldonlathe.jpg.654f61d40fd145e71b31145dcbfcd49f.jpg

• Like 5

echris
21 hours ago, formariz said:

Your saw is actually from 1946 . If you can post the serial # and any tags it has it can be more precisely dated.

Does your have the magnetic switch?

One of the outstanding features of that saw was the micro adjusting feature on fence.. Great saw. Predecessor to the Unisaw.

You're absolutely right, not sure why I thought it was a 54. I think that's the year of my Craftsman bandsaw.

It's a 16-546 which puts the manufacture date at May 1946.

Thanks!