peter lena

how do engage your pto drive , fast or slow?

peter lena

In view of the latest pto related talk , just thought i would ask , do you just slam on your pto drive  , or  let it wind up slowly ? personally I use the slower wind up , it all works easily , so i just do it that way , don, t really like a violent slamming start . my experience , pete

ebinmaine

I'm curious to see what the other folks are going to have for answers so I'm going to chime in here too.

As it stands right now we only have one PTO driven implement in use. The Mckissick chipper.

With that particular piece of equipment I normally idle the engine down, engage fairly slowly, and then bring the engine RPMs back up.

In my particular case the reason I do this is because the belt on this setup is a little too long and maybe doesn't quite have the right angle and if it engages violently it's prone to being thrown off.

Seems to me an electric PTO engages pretty much everything as a very fast somewhat violent move.

• Like 4

Maxwell-8

What would cause to most wear? 

I know with a car you want to release it slower, but not to slow so you are burning the clutch, but more to what the car's engine can handle.

I do it in around 2seconds

I do bring down the rpm as slow as possible before engaging.

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2

Skipper

I use magnetic, and it comes on a bit hard, but not too bad. I often flip the switch at wot, and that actually softens it up a bit, as the clutch slips a little the first little second or so. The machinery can easily handle it. I think it's just us Wheel Horse nerds that tends to get stomach problems over it. 

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

most wear

Consideration must be given as to where the wear would occur on what wares. 

Now I've homologated some homonyms.  

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

echris
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Where?

• Haha 1

Maxwell-8
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Like, the clutcmaterial, which have a just replaced on AMY 

DSC_0407.JPG

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I just go steady about same speed as I would engage a car clutch… it works.:twocents-twocents:

• Like 4

JCM

Could go either way with me.  Nice and slow or slam it in. Depends on the mood, how much daylight left to mow or blow and how many other chores left to complete.    :ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

DougC

I engage my pto's on my 520s at idle speed after I start the tractor, then as the machine warms up I increase the rpms to 3500 when mowing.

Yes, I realize JCM's post was way more entertaining than mine but I am still on probation here............:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

rjg854

C160  With the manual pto, I engage it slow and easy at a medium throttle.

16 auto  With the electric pto I idle down when I engage it, so it just doesn't slam on. Then I bring the idle up.

• Like 2

killroy

I flip the switch....... 

• Like 1

Stepney

Book says to engage at speed with haste as not to let the belts slap. Personally I run at a mid throttle and slide it on gentle. My ailing power blower doesn't need to be whacked around at it's age.

My 16 horse electric clutch will blow keys in the snow thrower or deck if slammed on full speed, with a good belt. 

Rusty Tinsnips

WOT, medium speed engagement

lynnmor

My zero turn had a break-in procedure for the electric PTO clutch: full throttle and engage, repeat 15 times before use.

• Like 1

grinchsr

Nice and easy does it for me.  I go even slower with the Power-Flo mounted

• Like 2

JoeM

I like to keep them reved up.

The larger decks, 60 incher, can lug an engine down pretty hard if your not at least 3/4 throttle. Most of these small engines make their torque at 2500 and up. 

If the clutch is in good condition, and adjusted correctly, it will slip a bit and do its job when engaged. 

ranger

With the mower deck on my 312-8, fast idle, feather the clutch a couple of times for a split second to overcome inertia, then fully engaged and open her up!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

johnnymag3

Quarter throttle ...ease in PTO, saves wear on everything...get to full engagement as swiftly as possible. Saves clutch material, and the engine doesn't care !!   Also doesn't beat up bearings, which should be greased and serviced with Lucas high pressure grease, with no water washout.  Just My .02 cents

• Like 1

kpinnc

My ZTR has an electric clutch, and previously would choke the engine if engaged at too low RPMs. Flipping the switch at wide open felt like something was gonna break. Then I found a soft start clutch controller, and it is awesome. It has a lead that coils around a spark plug wire, and uses a pulse instead of straight 12V engagement based on engine RPM. Takes about a full second to fully engage. Very smooth and won't snap belts or choke the engine down.

Now that I typed all this- it occurs that is is absolutely useless to this thread...

Edited by kpinnc
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11
16 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

My ZTR has an electric clutch, and previously would choke the engine if engaged at too low RPMs. Flipping the switch at wide open felt like something was gonna break. Then I found a soft start clutch controller, and it is awesome. It has a lead that coils around a spark plug wire, and uses a pulse instead of straight 12V engagement based on engine RPM. Takes about a full second to fully engage. Very smooth and won't snap belts or choke the engine down.

Now that I typed all this- it occurs that is is absolutely useless to this thread...

You talkin something like this?

SoftStart_FrontPg_hr.jpg

Don

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
21 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

idle the engine down, engage fairly slowly, and then bring the engine RPMs back up

:text-yeahthat:

BUT... the thing is... most people don't... and just let it jerk...

Don

Snoopy11

Then I start thinking what a John Deere mechanic told me... that engaging at lower rpms will cause belt wear... so... :dunno:

Don

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Then I start thinking what a John Deere mechanic told me... that engaging at lower rpms will cause belt wear... so... :dunno:

Don

I'm not sure I see how that's more or less valid when comparing the belt slip at high RPM. 

I'd like a correct technical explanation if anyone has it. 

kpinnc
36 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

You talkin something like this?

Yes sir, that is it. Simple installation and works great.